What's new

No internet after turn on OpenVPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluemouseios

New Around Here
I thought my issue is a simpler one than other posts but I still can't figure out how to fix it.

Recently I upgrade my ac68u to ax86u. On ac68u, I've setup OpenVPN clients without problems but cannot do it in ax86u.

Here is the setup (mostly default settings):
  • set two openvpn clients, tcp/udp each, both connected to the server without any problems.
  • set Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to Yes (all), then I cannot access internet anymore (when set it to No, there is no problem to internet)
  • set Killswitch to No.
  • enabled upnp
What happens after vpn clients connected:
  1. I can ping through google.com, youtube.com, twitter.com
  2. I cannot access most websites, no to youtube.com, twitter.com etc but with exceptions below.
  3. I can still access google search and this forum (I guess this is due to I am visiting them before turn on the vpn clients, and chrome remembered sth to continue the access. I verified my hypothesis by using safari, nope, no access to google.com anymore)
I can't figure out what's wrong with my setup. Appreciate if you have any clues how to diagnose.

I thought my issue is a simpler one than other posts but I still can't figure out how to fix it.

Recently I upgrade my ac68u to ax86u. On ac68u, I've setup OpenVPN clients without problems but cannot do it in ax86u.

Here is the setup (mostly default settings):
  • set two openvpn clients, tcp/udp each, both connected to the server without any problems.
  • set Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to Yes (all), then I cannot access internet anymore (when set it to No, there is no problem to internet)
  • set Killswitch to No.
  • enabled upnp
What happens after vpn clients connected:
  1. I can ping through google.com, youtube.com, twitter.com
  2. I cannot access most websites, no to youtube.com, twitter.com etc but with exceptions below.
  3. I can still access google search and this forum (I guess this is due to I am visiting them before turn on the vpn clients, and chrome remembered sth to continue the access. I verified my hypothesis by using safari, nope, no access to google.com anymore)
I can't figure out what's wrong with my setup. Appreciate if you have any clues how to diagnose.
What does your "accept DNS configuration" setting look like under your VPN client? And how are you configured for DNS in general on your router?

1704145598905.png

Here you are.

P.S. the firmware is latest to date.

Not sure if this will help, but I would suggest not using your ISP's DNS servers, and assigning a more reliable DNS service for the WAN, like Quad9 or Cloudfare (which has built-in protection for malware sites & whatnot)... and setting your VPN client DNS to strict/exclusive (or even disabled), and see if that makes a difference? Not sure about that "relaxed" setting... I think that might be a bit flakey as it tries to pick between both your ISP and VPN DNS servers, and may be getting some bad info. Also, it's rare to see someone using a TCP tunnel... you sure you don't want to use UDP? You are giving up some network performance sticking with TCP.

Last edited:
Thanks. I switched to Quad9 and tried but the issue is the same.

I solved the issue by switch to a different VPN server, looks like it is a stupid issue caused by my VPN vendor. Thanks for the help anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!