What's new

No Jumbo Frame for GT-AX6000?!?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

visortgw

Very Senior Member
@ASUSWRT_2020 (or others): Can someone from ASUS please enlighten me as to why Jumbo Frame cannot be enabled (i,e., is not supported) on GT-AX6000? This doesn't make sense to me given that the device supports BOTH 2.5 Gbps WAN and LAN. Thanks.

I have the same issue with my new gt ax 6000, my old ac3100 was able to have jumbo frame and was rfc 4638 compliant.

Its funny that the top of the line ( gt ax 6000 ) is not rfc 4638 compliant for fiber (with pppoe) connection, most of the people will have the same issue since fiber connection is becoming more popular.

i need to have a mtu of 1508 to be rfc 4638 compliant…

you pay for something premium and end up with missing feature that even the stock router from the ISP provide

@xwildx You keep using the term "compliant" as if RFC4638 is a standard, it's not. It's an informational memo and there is no mandatory requirement for devices to support it. "compatible" might be a better term as it's entirely optional. That said, the issue is not RFC4638 compatibility but whether the router can support jumbo frames.

@xwildx You keep using the term "compliant" as if RFC4638 is a standard, it's not. It's an informational memo and there is no mandatory requirement for devices to support it. "compatible" might be a better term as it's entirely optional.
It's optional yes, I never say that it's a standard but yes you're right when I said "compliant" before I should say "compatible" instead.

That said, the issue is not RFC4638 compatibility but whether the router can support jumbo frames.
This is why I posted it on this thread because RFC4638 need jumbo frame.

Just curious, what's your use case for it? I thought Jumbo Frames, even in their "heyday", offered marginal improvements at best and more often than not would cause more headaches than it was worth (and nowadays is not recommended to be used at all, especially with TSO, LSO, etc.).

In my case, if you don’t have jumbo frame on fiber optical connection (through PPPoE), it will cause MTU to go to 1492 and cause fragmentation or to have MSS clamping to be enabled
It is recommended to have an MTU of 1500 + 8 bytes of PPPoE = 1508 MTU on the WAN port

Last edited:
In my case, if you don’t have jumbo frame on fiber optical connection (through PPPoE), it will cause MTU to go to 1492 and cause fragmentation / MSS clamping
Just curious where you observe this fragmentation occurring? I would have thought clients would be doing PMTUD to avoid that happening.

EDIT: Apologies to @visortgw for derailing his thread with an off-topic discussion. :oops: I'll leave it alone now.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor sometime PMTUD ICMP packet are ignored and the source keep sending packet with an MTU of 1500 and get fragmentated not sure why, I use MSS Clamping on TCP to avoid that.

On UDP I didnt find the proper way to avoid that issue

any news here ? I have gt-ax6000 as well, and jumbo frame menu is missing. Is it a firmware bug or whatever ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!