What's new

No more date with the router release notes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
I noticed that since some days ASUS has removed the release date of firmware on their website.
1670603664554.png

And not only for the RT-AC68U, it is now a bit harder to see if there is a recent update.
Would that have a purpose?

That's not specific to router firmware, it's their whole support website that seem to have received an update, and downloads no longer display the publication date. The same can be seen when looking for the support page for a motherboard.

It's definitely a step back in terms of usability, as I always found that information very useful. I can tell if this file dated from December 1st would be newer than last time I updated my driver, which was 6 months ago. But no way I can tell if this AMD Chipset Driver 3.10.22.706 version is higher or lower than whatever version I currently have installed.

On a related note - why are so many developers using such impossible to memorize version numbers? Nothing wrong with MAJOR.minor versioning. Or at most, MAJOR.branch.minor.

I use the date on the .zip file in the filesystem on my mac when I downloaded the firmware as my date of record now. I usually download firmware just about when it comes out, and then wait until I'm ready to actually upgrade. Works for me, anyways. It was more convenient when Asus used to publish the date, but okay to have that filesystem date.

It is very common practice from ancient times to mark release notes with a date and use "MAJOR.minor.bugfix" version numbering, Apple still does quite OK with straightforward numbering their iOS and other software releases.
For per-releases you can use prefixes like Beta etc.
Build numbers are good for internal use during software development, using build numbers in released version numbers always make you wonder what you missed in between.
What always shall be used are release dates, filesystem dates are not reliable and it forces you to first download the file.

What forces me to download the firmware files is having the ability to revert. If I need to revert to a firmware image that's no longer on the server, then guess what? I can't. And while the filesystem dates "aren't reliable" in the sense of being exact, they're good enough for what I do as a consumer *smile*.

Last edited:
I noticed that since some days ASUS has removed the release date of firmware on their website.
Noticed it as well on the RT-AC68U firmware download page in recent days. Disappointing. Having the date visible is very informative. It was helpful to see how old both the current and older firmware releases are.

Yeah, while we can all agree that it's possible to do reasonable workarounds on our own (download dates, etc..), the fact remains that this is all a kludge due to Asus deliberately removing useful information. I'm sure it's very much in their interest to avoid having those release dates showing on the support website: nobody wants to be known as the company that hasn't updated a driver/firmware/BIOS for "X" number of weeks/months/years.
Poor choice from a consumer perspective, but an easy one from the manufacturer's view.

Hiding information is worse than being honest.
Todays trend seems to be to develop more models of routers, cars, TV's, printers, what ever instead of developing 3 or 4 models and make sure these are reliable and offer good long term support. I can understand it is almost impossible to keep supporting the endless number of router models.

Not only are there no dates for their firmware releases, their official forum site has been like this

'Hi, our website is temporarily closed for service enhancements.
We'll be back shortly.Thank you for your patience!'

for over a week now. Nearer 2 weeks I think.

I wonder if they've started/promoted somebody new?

Hiding the date is malicious intention. Maybe to prevent people from emailing or calling customer care about newer firmware availability. The RT-AX92U still on January firmware thread comes to mind.
This has nothing to do with that. As pointed out, the change was done to the whole support site, it`s not specific to router firmwares.

This has nothing to do with that. As pointed out, the change was done to the whole support site, it`s not specific to router firmwares.
Agreed, as far as being true across the entire Asus support site; and while I wouldn't go quite so far as to call it "malicious", I would say that it had to be intentional, see my previous post on this.

This was posted on the Asus website:

[ASUS Download Center] Interface updates annoucement​

Last Update : 2022/12/16 09:55
SEND TO EMAIL OPEN ON YOUR SMART PHONE
In order to optimize the user experience, ASUS is still adjusting the display method of the update time corresponding to the upload of the software utilities of the official website. It is expected that the display of the corresponding update time of the software utilities upload will be added in the next official website update.
The various software provided by the official website have been thoroughly tested by ASUS and are the latest versions. Users can download and install the corresponding required software with peace of mind. If you still have questions, please contact the local customer service center.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!