What's new

No More Social Media

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
no_social.png
SmallNetBuilder has said goodbye to social media networks.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Please note that both the Main Site and the Forums have individual RSS feeds, and that's a great way to keep up with things.

What is this 'Facebook' that you speak of?

You want to feel free...you want to take a burden from your shoulders? Take FB off your phone. I used to have it and watch it to keep up with 'friends' and family. but most of those people are from high school and that was like 25 years ago. I've moved out of state and so have many of them. I actively neglected many of my old acquaintances from high school after I graduated because they would have dragged me down with them.

So when I got the new cell phone, I actually uninstalled the ap. Man, it was like when I decided to stop drinking 14 years ago. I felt like a huge burden was lifted off my shoulders.

I can see the meme now. A short video of someone uninstalling the ap...then the scene breaks to Mel Gibson in Braveheart yelling "FREEDOM!!!"

It's especially true as the elections roll around. I found that most people just get ugly regardless of their party affiliation.

Anyway...I'll step off my soapbox.

Please note that both the Main Site and the Forums have individual RSS feeds, and that's a great way to keep up with things.
Good point on mentioning the SNBForums RSS feed. I'll add it to the article.

Facebook has a horrible UX. Twitter is kinda okay since there are pages that just show cute pictures of raccoons, lynxes, otters, and other cute animals, beyond that they do not seem to have much use.

And if like me you miss having a good feed reader (that was the one good feature in Thunderbird that I miss since moving to eMclient), take a look at Feedly. I use it to aggregate three or four RSS feeds that I monitor daily.

Facebook has a horrible UX. Twitter is kinda okay since there are pages that just show cute pictures of raccoons, lynxes, otters, and other cute animals, beyond that they do not seem to have much use.

I dislike Twitter as a mean to follow any kind of logical discussion. I think I'm following three users on it (and one of them was SNBForums). I use Tweetdeck which makes it less painful to manage at least. 90% of my use is for quick interactions with my users, notify people of new releases, answer simple questions, and moan&complain about technical stuff when I need to vent. :p

Facebook is where I keep in touch with friends, but I only use it from my desktop, and spend maybe 5-10 mins a day on it on average. I find its UI usable at least (compared to Twitter).

And if like me you miss having a good feed reader (that was the one good feature in Thunderbird that I miss since moving to eMclient), take a look at Feedly. I use it to aggregate three or four RSS feeds that I monitor daily.

Server side TT-RSS is the only one that seems easy to install and run, even if feature wise it's not all that. Everything is cloud and subscription.

Server side TT-RSS is the only one that seems easy to install and run, even if feature wise it's not all that. Everything is cloud and subscription.

Feedly's free service is very usable for basic needs at least.

Twitter brings out the worst in people and is used to spread lies and misinformation.
Facebook cannot be trusted to protect users personal data and also is used to spread lies and misinformation.
Google+ has been killed off by Google because they got caught being hacked and not disclosing it.

One less account may not mean anything to these companies. But the only way they will change is to see their user base shrink.

Twitter brings out the worst in people and is used to spread lies and misinformation.

Twitter is the fast food of social medias IMHO. Anyone can quickly push anything on it within seconds, from his smartphone while sitting on the can. Have to be careful how you chose to use it indeed. Personally, I've been lucky so far.

But then, any media can be used for spreading lies and misinformation, to be honest. Social medias just make it easier because any Joe Average can do it with just a few seconds of his spare time.

Never had any of these apps on any of my devices.

you must be picking them very carefully. LG and Sony come with Facebook installed (you can only disable, not completely uninstall), as well as other such junk. they assume people will want them out of the box. i even have a really old (6 years probably) Nokia 301 that came with Twitter.

yet people complain that different email or calendar apps come preinstalled on some phones... that's what they call "bloat".

Twitter is the fast food of social medias IMHO. Anyone can quickly push anything on it within seconds, from his smartphone while sitting on the can. Have to be careful how you chose to use it indeed. Personally, I've been lucky so far.

But then, any media can be used for spreading lies and misinformation, to be honest. Social medias just make it easier because any Joe Average can do it with just a few seconds of his spare time.

Better moderators here. ;-)

thanksk godd never had an assface or any other unsocial media account never will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!