What's new

No routing protocol?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simonpg

New Around Here
I am trying to downsize my home network from a VM running PFSense and several other VMs running on old, power hungry servers to an ASUS RT-AC66U running version 380.62_1 of AsusWRT-Merlin and a fault tolerant cluster of Raspberry Pis. My Internet connection is a via Comcast Business using a Cisco DPC3939B. Connecting my internal subnets to the pfsense router to the Comcast Gateway router works great. However, connecting the new cluster subnet via the Asus to the Comcast Gateway does not work. In the interest of being brief in this first post I will cut to the chase. I suspect that the Asus, configured as a Wireless Router, does not run routing protocols out the WAN interface because that interface is meant to be connected to your ISP equipment that does not care about your internal routes; while the PFSense router makes no such assumptions and happily sends route updates to the Comcast router. The Comcast router will not allow static routes to be configured. Configuring the Asus as a Wireless Access Point works great, as expected. I am loath to trust my firewalling to my ISP. If I am correct that no routing information is being presented on the WAN, what is the remedy? Does this requirement take me beyond the standard capabilities and into DD-WRT land? Is there a way to install a route daemon in the Merlin world? Am I missing something obvious? Thank you for reading this far.

I'm not sure our situations are the same but for the company i work at we use a Watchguard firewall with a business fiber connection (modem and router provided by the provider)

We were required to use static ips (including gateway, dns server) to configure the Firewalls interfaces. Maybe its as easy as using the static ip option on the WAN interface in your situation as well

I'm not sure our situations are the same but for the company i work at we use a Watchguard firewall with a business fiber connection (modem and router provided by the provider)

We were required to use static ips (including gateway, dns server) to configure the Firewalls interfaces. Maybe its as easy as using the static ip option on the WAN interface in your situation as well

Thank you for your reply! That is one solution, though at this point I would try to go IPv6 instead of paying for more static IPv4 addresses since you get plenty of static IPv6 addresses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!