What's new

No USB3 hub on RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

note4shawn

New Around Here
I am unable to use a USB 3.0 hub on my RT-AC56U. I have multiple Sabrent USB 3.0 dual docking stations that I am trying to attach to my RT-AC56U. I have tried the 7 port Anker and the Insignia 4 port USB 3.0 hubs. If I attach the docking stations directly to the USB 3.0 port on the router the drives come up fine. Once I put the hubs in I get nothing at all. Here is the strange part. If I plug my old 7 port USB 2.0 hub in and attach my docking stations all the drives come up fine.

So why do the USB 3.0 hubs not work at all but the USB 3.0 drives/docking stations work fine when attached directly or through a USB 2.0 hub?

If I recall I had read that others have used the anker hub successfully with the Asus routers. That is why I ordered that. Doesn't make sense.

BTW... using the most recent factory FW. Have not installed Merlin FW yet.

USB3 hubs aren't officially supported. Some people managed to find some very specific hub models that worked, but they might have been mimicking being standard USB2 hubs.

And what would it take to implement the functionality?

A newer kernel or a bunch of backports, and probably the ability to recompile every closed source kernel modules to ensure that their kernel symbols match.

In short: Asus would have to do it.

RMerlin, any news about this feature? Did Asus add something in the last updates?
As you have a good contact to the Asus people, do you know anything about plans to add it or could you ask them?

btw: Nice to see you again after all these years back with the wdlxtv-live hacking. The good old days.

RMerlin, any news about this feature? Did Asus add something in the last updates?
As you have a good contact to the Asus people, do you know anything about plans to add it or could you ask them?

I don't think it's currently planned. You might want to send a PM to @ASUS_ASUSWRT about it (he's an Asus employee).

btw: Nice to see you again after all these years back with the wdlxtv-live hacking. The good old days.

Thanks. I'm still in touch with both b-rad and recliq over IRC. Did you know that b-rad is now Hauppauge's Linux engineer? He's been with them for a few years now. They love to fly him around the world at various Linux conferences LOL :)

I don't think it's currently planned. You might want to send a PM to @ASUS_ASUSWRT about it (he's an Asus employee).
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Thanks. I'm still in touch with both b-rad and recliq over IRC. Did you know that b-rad is now Hauppauge's Linux engineer? He's been with them for a few years now. They love to fly him around the world at various Linux conferences LOL :)
Well, glad to hear that all went well for him personally. I remember all the weeks and months we were waiting for him in the forum to hear any sign from him. I think he had some trouble with moving to another city/country and all this stuff.
I just checked the forum and all the guys are still there - KAD, recliq and mad_ady. Still maintaining the firmware and answering all the same questions again and again. You really have to admire their motivation. It was really a great community.

And flying to conferences, mh? Thought this would be your master plan, too. Didn't Asus book your 1st class tickets yet? ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!