What's new

Noob need some help with Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@kilianfeng, I would suggest you do a full reset to your router and perform a minimal and manual configuration. Change only the defaults you need to. For the highest level of security.

If you've been toggling options on/off, particularly security options, your router may not be in the same state as leaving some of those options off/default in the first place.

For the highest security, performance, and stability, I would consider a full reset at this point, with a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect it to your ISP. Without using a saved backup config file.

I now
If your console is in DMZ there should be no need for full cone NAT. Full cone is sort of a compromise, more secure than DMZ but less secure than symmetric NAT. You also should not need uPNP (at least not for that particular console). Your gaming console is essentially open to the internet now, all unsolicited inbound traffic will be sent to that console, about as close as you can get to having the IP directly on the console.

DMZ and public IP don't really relate, in fact if you didn't have a public IP, DMZ would be pretty useless. I would not enable it if you don't absolutely need it. I would not consider gaming consoles to be immune from security risks.

Try both UPNP and DMZ disabled first. If the console is happy, leave it like that. If not, try enabling uPNP secure. If that doesn't work, go to uPNP. DMZ should be a last resort.
I now enabled UPNP and UPNp secure mode. With my IPV4 firewall enabled and DMZ disabled. Will try it now to see if it works.
To be honest I didn’t feel much different whether DMZ enabled or disabled. I guess I’ll try the new method to see if it’s better

@kilianfeng, I would suggest you do a full reset to your router and perform a minimal and manual configuration. Change only the defaults you need to. For the highest level of security.

If you've been toggling options on/off, particularly security options, your router may not be in the same state as leaving some of those options off/default in the first place.

For the highest security, performance, and stability, I would consider a full reset at this point, with a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect it to your ISP. Without using a saved backup config file.

So all in all u are suggesting I toggled things on/ off too many times, and the total setting may not effectively activated, could be in a mess, It’s better to hard reset in order to avoid any Funky stuff from happening ?

To be honest I didn’t feel much different whether DMZ enabled or disabled. I guess I’ll try the new method to see if it’s better
Nothing should "feel" better or worse. If a game requires forwarded ports (e.g. for voice chat) it will either work or it won't. There's no "better", that's just a myth that gamer kiddies that don't understand networking often tell each other.

So all in all u are suggesting I toggled things on/ off too many times, and the total setting may not effectively activated, could be in a mess, It’s better to hard reset in order to avoid any Funky stuff from happening ?
If these are the only options you've changed then it's not a problem. It's only if you've changed lots of other things that you've now forgotten about that there might be problems.

Nothing should "feel" better or worse. If a game requires forwarded ports (e.g. for voice chat) it will either work or it won't. There's no "better", that's just a myth that gamer kiddies that don't understand networking often tell each other.

If these are the only options you've changed then it's not a problem. It's only if you've changed lots of other things that you've now forgotten about that there might be problems.
Professional as always, ur help is much appreciated. If my latency still sky high, I’m gonna do the hard reset and leave everything in default then try it.
I currently disabled DMZ and enabled UPNP and UPNP secure mode, with both firewall IPV4/6 enabled. Also I set an OpenDNS on my console. Will see if it works.
I’m using an app called game accelerator, often using by gaming community in China mainland, it’s basic a VPN white list, forward all gaming data/traffics through certain ports to gaming server abroad, not like a proper VPN that can bypass the GreatFirewall. I believe there are certain limitations on this app, and from what I searched, it will overwrite some of the settings I made. Just wanna make the most of my router settings. Hope it works