What's new

Noob need some help with Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kilianfeng

Occasional Visitor
I have just installed Merlin firmware for the first time, I have no idea what’s the different between those two files in the firmware folder

One shows

Ax6000-388.2_2_nand_squashfs_pkgtb

The other shows

Ax6000-388.2_2_ROG_nand_squashfs_pkgtb

I used the second one with ROG in the name, did I choose wrong?

Can someone educate me on this matter please?

After I install the firmware, I don’t have software center nor options to format JFFS as guide online described, also on the setting part, where it shows type of UPNP I would like to use (full cone,etc) is missing as well, now I can only decide if I enable UPNP and whether I enable safe UPNP or not.

I have just installed Merlin firmware for the first time, I have no idea what’s the different between those two files in the firmware folder

One shows

The other shows

After I install the firmware, I don’t have software center nor options to format JFFS as guide online described, also on the setting part, where it shows type of UPNP I would like to use (full cone,etc) is missing as well, now I can only decide if I enable UPNP and whether I enable safe UPNP or not.

ROG means Republic Of Gamers and is mostly just visual differences in the GUI for cool people. I don't know if there are actual features that are different. Maybe it has a setting to make the lights flash in pretty colors or something.

I'm guessing your router uses the newer UBIFS so you won't have the format JFFS option. Hard factory reset should format that and maintain the file system.

The NAT type (full cone etc) should still be in there, it may just be located in a different section on the ROG version. Unless ROG just assumes you always want full cone and doesn't let you change it, maybe others can give insight into that, I'm not cool enough to have a gaming router :)

Note that stock firmware is also available in both flavors, this isn't something Merlin created.

ROG means Republic Of Gamers and is mostly just visual differences in the GUI for cool people. I don't know if there are actual features that are different. Maybe it has a setting to make the lights flash in pretty colors or something.

I'm guessing your router uses the newer UBIFS so you won't have the format JFFS option. Hard factory reset should format that and maintain the file system.

The NAT type (full cone etc) should still be in there, it may just be located in a different section on the ROG version. Unless ROG just assumes you always want full cone and doesn't let you change it, maybe others can give insight into that, I'm not cool enough to have a gaming router :)

Note that stock firmware is also available in both flavors, this isn't something Merlin created.
True hero and bless u, solved my concern about choosing the wrong file to install. Thanks again. Now I just gotta find where is the full cone option. It’s just not there, made me feel uncomfortable about it LOL

One shows

The other shows

The Ax6000-388.2_2_ROG_nand_squashfs_pkgtb file is to be used if you would like the keep the ROG (red) GUI interface and the Ax6000-388.2_2_nand_squashfs_pkgtb file is to be used if you would like the use the non-gamer GUI (blue) interface which look like this:
1690755397506.png

Note that while presently available, the ROG interface in Merlin may not be supported in the near future (as per RMerlin).

Additionally please note that the JFFS format is not available with the GT-AX6000 because ASUS have replaced the JFFS2 filesystem on this router with the UBI version - ubifs, which is more robust and does not need reformatting.

True hero and bless u, solved my concern about choosing the wrong file to install. Thanks again. Now I just gotta find where is the full cone option. It’s just not there, made me feel uncomfortable about it LOL

Found something in one of the release notes, not positive if it applies to your router:

- REMOVED: NAT Type setting on HND 5.04 devices (fullcone is not supported by kernel 4.19)

Symmetric (default) NAT is more secure. There are certain games/gaming consoles that like full cone but unless you are running into some issue/limitation, you would want to stick with symmetric anyway.

I believe someone said you can tell on Xbox as symmetric NAT will report "strict" on the xbox. But that in and of itself is not an issue.

The Ax6000-388.2_2_ROG_nand_squashfs_pkgtb file is to be used if you would like the keep the ROG (red) GUI interface and the Ax6000-388.2_2_nand_squashfs_pkgtb file is to be used if you would like the use the non-gamer GUI (blue) interface which look like this:
View attachment 52053
Note that while presently available, the ROG interface in Merlin may not be supported in the near future (as per RMerlin).

Additionally please note that the JFFS format is not available with the GT-AX6000 because ASUS have replaced the JFFS2 filesystem on this router with the UBI version - ubifs, which is more robust and does not need reformatting.
Much appreciated for the info. Is that means every reset I made gonna format the whole router along with the JFFS system stuff from before

Found something in one of the release notes, not positive if it applies to your router:

- REMOVED: NAT Type setting on HND 5.04 devices (fullcone is not supported by kernel 4.19)

Symmetric (default) NAT is more secure. There are certain games/gaming consoles that like full cone but unless you are running into some issue/limitation, you would want to stick with symmetric anyway.

I believe someone said you can tell on Xbox as symmetric NAT will report "strict" on the xbox. But that in and of itself is not an issue.
Full cone indeed is better for gaming consoles which has no security issue like on PC. If that’s the case, I’ll just enable the UPNP function and disable the UPNP Secure mode. I have also set a DMZ for my console, but people telling me it’s not necessary since I have a public internet IP or called external internet IP (translate directly from the term of my language, not sure u would understand what I’m saying) which offers full access and opens all ports. My NAT type always shows type 2/open, whether enable or disable DMZ. Should I enableDMZ or UPNP or not under my situation. ??

Full cone indeed is better for gaming consoles which has no security issue like on PC. If that’s the case, I’ll just enable the UPNP function and disable the UPNP Secure mode. I have also set a DMZ for my console, but people telling me it’s not necessary since I have a public internet IP or called external internet IP (translate directly from the term of my language, not sure u would understand what I’m saying) which offers full access and opens all ports. My NAT type always shows type 2/open, whether enable or disable DMZ. Should I enableDMZ or UPNP or not under my situation. ??

If your console is in DMZ there should be no need for full cone NAT. Full cone is sort of a compromise, more secure than DMZ but less secure than symmetric NAT. You also should not need uPNP (at least not for that particular console). Your gaming console is essentially open to the internet now, all unsolicited inbound traffic will be sent to that console, about as close as you can get to having the IP directly on the console.

DMZ and public IP don't really relate, in fact if you didn't have a public IP, DMZ would be pretty useless. I would not enable it if you don't absolutely need it. I would not consider gaming consoles to be immune from security risks.

Try both UPNP and DMZ disabled first. If the console is happy, leave it like that. If not, try enabling uPNP secure. If that doesn't work, go to uPNP. DMZ should be a last resort.

Much appreciated for the info. Is that means every reset I made gonna format the whole router along with the JFFS system stuff from before
First, I have forgotten to mention in my first reply: Welcome to the forum...

Second, if by reset you mean a full (hard) reset to factory defaults then the answer is yes otherwise no (which aslo include firmware upgrades).

If that’s the case, I’ll just enable the UPNP function and disable the UPNP Secure mode.
Don't disable UPnP Secure mode. That has nothing to do with gaming connections to your router or console. It's to prevent malicious activity from devices on your LAN.

I have also set a DMZ for my console, but people telling me it’s not necessary since I have a public internet IP or called external internet IP (translate directly from the term of my language, not sure u would understand what I’m saying) which offers full access and opens all ports.
Using the DMZ completely negates the purpose of UPnP.

My NAT type always shows type 2/open, whether enable or disable DMZ. Should I enableDMZ or UPNP or not under my situation. ??
Disable DMZ and use UPnP with Secure mode.

Last edited:

A hard factory reset has always formatted JFFS, so that is no different. UBIFS should keep itself much cleaner and not need formatting other than during a hard factory reset, so you don't really need to worry about that option.

If your console is in DMZ there should be no need for full cone NAT. Full cone is sort of a compromise, more secure than DMZ but less secure than symmetric NAT. You also should not need uPNP (at least not for that particular console). Your gaming console is essentially open to the internet now, all unsolicited inbound traffic will be sent to that console, about as close as you can get to having the IP directly on the console.

DMZ and public IP don't really relate, in fact if you didn't have a public IP, DMZ would be pretty useless. I would not enable it if you don't absolutely need it. I would not consider gaming consoles to be immune from security risks.

Try both UPNP and DMZ disabled first. If the console is happy, leave it like that. If not, try enabling uPNP secure. If that doesn't work, go to uPNP. DMZ should be a last resort.
Thank you for the detailed explanations, really helps, now I just enabled UPNP and UPNP secure mode as default. DMZ disabled for now. Thank u for the advice. Should I disable firewall for IPV4/6 as well for better port forwarding of the console?

A hard factory reset has always formatted JFFS, so that is no different. UBIFS should keep itself much cleaner and not need formatting other than during a hard factory reset, so you don't really need to worry about that option.
thank you for clarify that, now I know whenever I feel my setting is completely off, I’ll just do a hard reset (wps button+ power button), it will wipe out the entire stuff on router.

Don't disable UPnP Secure mode. That has nothing to do with gaming connections to your router or console. It's to prevent malicious activity from devices on your LAN.

Using the DMZ completely negates the purpose of UPnP.

Disable DMZ and use UPnP with Secure mode.
Thank you for the advice, I know disabled DMZ and having my UPNP and UPNP secure mode option enabled as default. Should I disable firewall IPV4/6 just for better port forwarding for the console?