What's new

Noob Question About ISP’s and MoCA PoE Bonding Blocks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shine

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I’m certainly a noob to all of this but I had a weird conversation with Mediacom today. Earlier this week I canceled my cable and phone service but kept the same plan for internet. Yesterday, I got a text from Mediacom saying that a “field audit appointment” had been scheduled and the times could vary or the dates could change but there was no need for me to be home because all the work would be done outside.

So I went to the side of my house to look in their box (which is inside a privacy fence btw) and the only thing I noticed was a MoCA PoE Bonding Block - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DSDG9DZ/?tag=snbforums-20

So that is the only thing I can think of that they would need access to. Is it possible for them to swap that one out with, say, a 2.0 non-bonded as a way to throttle my bandwidth even though I kept the same internet plan or am I just being paranoid? I’m not aware of anything else they would need to do.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum. It’s kind of an oddball question.

They probably just want to ensure the appropriate filter is installed to prevent you from receiving basic cable TV broadcasts as you are no longer subscribing to that service.

Oh. Well I put up an antenna for that. I just never had heard of a “field audit” before and quite frankly don’t trust Mediacom as far as I can throw them. Thank you for the reply though. I’ve taken pics of everything and will just undo and replace any parts they may mess with anyway. That’s assuming they don’t get eaten by one of my four dogs. But I called and warned them.

I don't blame you for not trusting Mediacom, we had a nasty experience with them over a similar situation. When we moved into our house we signed up for just their internet service and used antenna for over the air TV, as that fit our needs just fine. Several YEARS later they conducted a random field audit in our area and threatened to charge us serveral years worth of back charges because their technician who installed the line evidently never connected the appropriate filter to the line. We had never even had the cable connected to a TV!. Fortuntalty we got the matter taken care of but how they went abut the whole situation was ridiculous.