What's new

Noob question- AC5300 update to 2.6 firmware issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeffbarnes07

New Around Here
I had a AC86U that died about a week ago.
I replaced it with (originally) an AX86U- but in playing various online games we were all getting dropped at various times. Thinking I had a bad piece of hardware I ordered an AC5300 and got it today. I setup the router and network and upgraded to the latest ASUS firmware.

I was online gaming for a few hours and had no issues. Took a break and then went back to it and about 90 mins in I got dropped again. I have the error log, but that looks like a foreign language to me. Someone in the iracing (that is the main online game I play) forums suggested using the Merlin firmware. I downloaded the ac5300 firmware and unzipped it. I see two txt files and two other files.

I rebooted the router and let it sit per the instructions and the tried to do the manual upload grabbing the one filename that has ac5300 386.2.6 in it... ends with .trx.... router didnt take the file.

Am I missing a simple step to doing the firmware upgrade? Instructions state to do it like a normal upgrade and that is the process I have taken in the past.

Thoughts? I apologize if I missed something stupid in the process.

Jeff Barnes

Dang it, found the issue I think. I have GT-AC5300 not RT... I presume that is the issue with the firmware not uploading?

Still cant figure out the problem with two brand new routers dropping connections though...... frustrating when it worked fine up until 2 weeks ago when the old one died.

Might not be the new routers at all, but rather, the fact that new routers with different MAC addresses will get assigned a different IPs by your ISP. Maybe your new IPs have less-favorable routing. No idea really, but it might not be the quality of the hardware, only that it’s different hardware.

Thanks Dave. I mean I rebooted the cable modem prior to hooking up the new router and even rebooted it once when I rebooted the router after the firmware upgrade.
Just super frustrating.

I have an old RT-AC5300 [is compatible with Merlinware] - but am happy to have left it behind. Nowhere near as well supported on firmware updates by Asus as the AC86U which I switched to and have now replaced with 2 by AX86U's on Merlinware. Best routers by far. I think @dave14305 has identified a probable cause of your connection drop issues.

Two brand new, different model , different firmware routers, both throwing up the same issue - seems to me that the new routers are not the problem. I hope you find the solution.

Thanks Dave. I mean I rebooted the cable modem prior to hooking up the new router and even rebooted it once when I rebooted the router after the firmware upgrade.
Just super frustrating.
Try leaving the cable modem powered off for 15-30min. Then power off the router....power up the modem and wait for it to sync...then power up the router.
Some ISPs 'remember' the old hardware and need to be given time to forget.