What's new

Noob wanna get Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for your detailed response and the useful info contained in it.
My principle objection to telemetry [especially from the likes of Facebook, etc] is the obfuscation and monetisation.
Would be great to get paid for the data they help themselves to - but that's not gonna happen - so block-em. ;) !

Would be great to get paid for the data they help themselves to - but that's not gonna happen - so block-em. ;) !
On the other hand, Facebook aren't charging you to use their service either. So, my view on things when it comes to a company gathering or reselling my data is, do I get a worthwhile service from them in exchange?

In Google or Facebook's case, I do. I use Google Now on almost a daily basis, for instance. I use FB to keep in touch with friends and acquaintances.

In Microsoft's case... No. They charge for both Windows (through the OEM) and Office, therefore they didn't earn the right to double dip into my assets and gain even more out of me on top of what I paid for their products.

Of course, this is always provided that the info they sell cannot be used to invade my personal privacy (i.e. that nobody within a company can open my profile, and immediately tell that "Eric has shopped for a new dryer last week". In general that information is anonymized, or it's only linked to you through an anonymous ID that can only tell that "This user has shopped for a dryer, let's show him some ads about them", with "this user" being some unique hash value tied to my browser, not to my name and street address.

But that's my personal view on things. Some people think that this is still too much and no company should be able to gather any information about them, and I respect that opinion. But people must still realize that companies exist to earn a profit, so they can pay for the product/services they provide, and also pay their employees. There's no free lunch. Let's flip the table. If tomorrow Google and Facebook required you to pay to use their search engine or stay in touch with your friend in exchange for them not gathering any user information, would you?

But that's my personal view on things.

Similar here. I know we pay with data for "free" services, but we get some benefits from the services. I stopped blocking ads on network level because when searching for something the ads are actually very relevant. I don't get broken links instead. I stopped blocking tracking cookies because I need to verify my identity annoyingly often. I have no intention to dig in cookies and allow only specific ones. No tracking cookie did any harm so far, so let them live. Sooner or later people realize the more things they block, the more inconvenient Internet use becomes.

If tomorrow Google and Facebook required you to pay to use their search engine or stay in touch with your friend in exchange for them not gathering any user information, would you?

I don't now, and they're superficially free. ;)

If/when they start charging, that isn't the issue to using them or not. I still wouldn't believe they won't be using/gathering my information anyway.

As for Microsoft, I make money using their products, and yes, the tradeoff is worth it to me (I know how I'm using the computer(s) and the software).

For 'social networks' though? I don't see the value there at all, free or not.

Similar here. I know we pay with data for "free" services, but we get some benefits from the services. I stopped blocking ads on network level because when searching for something the ads are actually very relevant. I don't get broken links instead. I stopped blocking tracking cookies because I need to verify my identity annoyingly often. I have no intention to dig in cookies and allow only specific ones. No tracking cookie did any harm so far, so let them live. Sooner or later people realize the more things they block, the more inconvenient Internet use becomes.
I am starting to take this approach, network level at least. Something in standard or medium bl blocking Dell BIOS OS Recovery (or connectivity to their server). Of course being a newbie, I didnt know how to clear cache from the router after disabling Diversion. If you use Diversion, what bl do you suggest? Also don't have smart things, only Philips Hue which I have not set up on my new AX86S, and had never switch on control outside LAN. Philips Hue was easy to set on Draytek 2765ac because of the VLAN capability (but this router is too advance for me, I think). Followed everything L&LD for my last setup after multiple test and trial (I missed this on first signing up on this forum). Do I use DNS filter for Philips Hue or that doesn't matter?

Happy with this router, and especially this community. Never felt so welcome and I'm not scared/shy to ask for help here. Thank you all

If you use Diversion, what bl do you suggest?

I wouldn't run Diversion at all. Or anything with USB stick requirement. Your network becomes as reliable as your USB stick. If ad-blocking is the main goal, I would use free AdGuard DNS, uBlock Origin browser extension and DNSFilter, if different devices need different level of filtering. The end result is better and with easier management. No scripts or USB stick needed. Same with Skynet script. The router's firewall blocks all unsolicited connections anyway. This script mostly scares people who don't know how it works. Not needed in most cases, may not be effective when needed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run Diversion at all. Or anything with USB stick requirement. Your network becomes as reliable as your USB stick. If ad-blocking is the main goal, I would use free AdGuard DNS, uBlock Origin browser extension and DNSFilter, if different devices need different level of filtering. The end result is better and with easier management. No scripts or USB stick needed. Same with Skynet script. The router's firewall blocks all unsolicited connections anyway. This script mostly scares people who don't know how it works. Not needed in most cases, may not be effective when needed.
What about IoTs? In my case Philips Hue bridge. What's the best practice, is it ok to plug it in as it is? or do I disable intranet, set to DNS filter etc etc.

What about IoTs?

I don't know. With home routers you have limited options. Put them on a Guest Network, I guess. My home automation is local by design, controlled by computer. If I need to do something in rare cases from outside my home, there is a VPN access to the control panel. I prefer one secured entry door to all my automation, not 50 IoT devices communicating with who knows what over Internet and 5 different phone apps. This is just a different approach, but it costs more to build. It was planned in pre-construction phase in my case.

I don't know. With home routers you have limited options. Put them on a Guest Network, I guess. My home automation is local by design, controlled by computer. If I need to do something in rare cases from outside my home, there is a VPN access to the control panel. I prefer one secured entry door to all my automation, not 50 IoT devices communicating with who knows what over Internet and 5 different phone apps. This is just a different approach, but it costs more to build. It was planned in pre-construction phase in my case.
It is setup up now with ethernet cable, updated to latest firmware, mac binding, blocked internet access, still can control my lights :)

No idea what Philips Hue is and what it needs. If it's working for you with your settings - good. I use my hands to turn the lights on/off. :)

No idea what Philips Hue is and what it needs. If it's working for you with your settings - good. I use my hands to turn the lights on/off. :)
Use it mostly to "set the mood" :D
Thank you. Don't have Diversion installed this time. Adblock on network level require a lot of troubleshooting/whitelisting.

Yo Tech9, is there any way to message you? Just tried but can't, assuming privacy settings. I got some questions and feel like you're the guy to talk to personally to ease my curiosity ^.^

Messaging is unlocked now, but keep in mind messages are not private on this forum.

Also, I'm flying to another continent tomorrow and may not be able to reply very fast.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!