What's new

Notebook / netbook articles

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
With the slew of $400 "netbooks" around, I was thinking of doing an article or two looking at them for suitability as mini-servers or other networking uses. I have always resisted using an old computer for things like this due to size, noise and power use. But these little self-contained computers seem to remove those objections.

Any interest? Anyone already do this and want to write an article?

On another topic. I'm also beginning my annual search for a light travel notebook. Is this something you would be interested in reading about? I wouldn't do full reviews. Something more like this article that I did a few years ago.

I think it would be interesting to take a netbook or two and discover how suitable they could be as a NAS or general network appliance. Throw in a USB or PCMCIA NIC and one of those things would make for a pretty cool router.

I think it would be interesting to read about.

Someone somewhere once mentioned the EeeBox and its ilk as a NAS, and I remember responding pretty negativey, due to the limited expansion capability. That said, something like the EeeBox might make a good router. If you're going to be reviewing the netbooks, then may I also suggest some looking into the cheap nettops?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!