What's new

NSLOOKUP can't find NVIDIA SHIELD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I have two Shields (2019), one on WiFi and one on the wire. Using my Windows 10 box (Ethernet), NSLOOKUP can't find them:
nslookup 192.168.1.22
Server: RT-AC68P-D9B8
Address: 192.168.1.254
*** RT-AC68P-D9B8 can't find 192.168.1.22: Non-existent domain

I can find other PCs on the network. How can I not find the Shields via this method?

Try something like:

nslookup synology 192.168.1.1

or:

nslookup 192.168.1.22 192.168.1.1

Last edited:
Appending 192.168.1.1 failed for everything with "DNS request timed out".
Presumably that's because your router's IP address is 192.168.1.254 as shown in post #1?

How have you configured your Shield's networks interfaces?

Presumably that's because your router's IP address is 192.168.1.254 as shown in post #1?

How have you configured your Shield's networks interfaces?
Correct.

I don't have any details of the interfaces other than one is Ethernet and one is WiFi. What details are pertinent?

What details are pertinent?
I don't know anything about Shields so was just trying to understand more about how it's configured. You're trying to do a reverse lookup on an IP address which wouldn't work if you're manually configuring the network interface.

Nvidia Shields don't provide a hostname when they request an address. Try adding them with a fixed address and supply a hostname (give each shield a different name).

Nvidia Shields don't provide a hostname when they request an address. Try adding them with a fixed address and supply a hostname (give each shield a different name).
By adding them I suppose you mean connect them to the network using their interface. Even if I select static IP it does not prompt me for a hostname.

I can't even find the hostname in the Shield's system info. It must be a secret!

A lot of Android devices just have an auto-generated names like "android-a432093432243284520".

Do as John suggested and go to LAN > DHCP Server > Manual Assignment, select the client and give it a name of your own choosing.

A lot of Android devices just have an auto-generated names like "android-a432093432243284520".

Do as John suggested and go to LAN > DHCP Server > Manual Assignment, select the client and give it a name of your own choosing.
I've already done the manual assignment and gave friendly names, but that is seen only in the router.

Thanks.

I've already done the manual assignment and gave friendly names, but that is seen only in the router.
Make sure you're setting "Hostname (Optional)" and not just the "Client Name". It is the hostname that is registered in DNS.

Last edited:
Make sure you're setting "Hostname (Optional)" and not just the "Client Name". It is the hostname that is registered in DNS.
I don't know what you mean? I suppose you are talking about on the Shield. There is no opportunity to set the hostname on the Shield (or the router) that I've seen.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were using Merlin's firmware. I see now that you didn't state what firmware you were using so I guess it's stock Asus.

Merlin's firmware adds an extra column on the DHCP Server page called "Hostname (Optional)". As stock firmware doesn't have this there isn't anything you can do (other than install Merlin's firmware). Even if you set the hostname on the Shield itself it doesn't register it in DNS according to post #8.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!