What's new

NTFS errors? RT-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

repeater

Occasional Visitor
Hi fellas,

I am using the latest Merlin on my new 86U. I have openVPN server and client with selective routing. Totally cool and easy setup!

I hooked up a 2Tb WD passport formatted NTFS. I set up user accounts and transferred about a TB to it. All was working fine till I added DLNAmedia server to it. I added a folder onto the smb section and used that for the mini DLNA. Not sure if this caused the router to stop accepting any files.

I turned off the media server and rebooted. This did not help.

I’m going to format it with my Pi to ext4 if the router has issues with NTFS.

Can it write in whatever Mac uses? My main comp is an air.

Logs:

tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed to allocate a new on-disk inode (error 95).
Jan 10 22:30:00 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_mft_data_extend_allocation_nolock(): Not enough space in this mft record to accommodate extended mft data attribute extent. Cannot handle this yet.
Jan 10 22:30:00 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_mft_record_alloc(): Failed to extend mft data allocation.
Jan 10 22:30:00 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed to allocate a new on-disk inode (error 95).
Jan 10 22:30:00 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_mft_data_extend_allocation_nolock(): Not enough space in this mft record to accommodate extended mft data attribute extent. Cannot handle this yet.
Jan 10 22:30:01 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_mft_record_alloc(): Failed to extend mft data allocation.
Jan 10 22:30:01 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed to allocate a new on-disk inode (error 95).
Jan 10 22:30:04 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 3415): ntfs_mft_data_extend_allocation_nolock(): Not enough space in this mft record to accommodate extended mft data attribute extent. Cannot handle this yet.

Last edited:
I would stay away from NTFS.

You can format ext4 with the router;
mke2fs -t ext4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I formatted my 1Tb drive in MAC OS extended using my MacBook and then partitioned it. Plugged the drive into the ASUS using one partition for Time Machine and the other as a network drive. It works.