What's new

NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Working here...

upload_2018-10-14_14-15-32.png

I am maintaining it, but the problem I have is it does seem to just work for me following the old instructions.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I didn't mean to offend you and if it did came out the wrong way, I apogolize. I know kvic asked you at some point whether you were interested to take over, but wasn't aware you accepted the job. I was browsing the thread and stumbled across the instructions by Martineau to 'hack' the UI. Do these steps still apply or is there an updated installer for my RT-AC68U running 384.7 currently?

When I installed the 384 branch for the first time I didn’t have to do anything special to get it to work no.
I’m not sure why some people have had to... it’s possible the problem only existed for a limited set of late 380.X firmwares where it was merged with 382 branch.

I actually plan to buy an 86U in the new year at which point I can get that one working with the 64 bit versions required.

In the mean time if I get a spare afternoon I’ll reinstall my 88U (unless anyone can point me in the direction of their problems before I do that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and no offence taken [emoji106]

When updating my RT-AC87U from 384.5 to 384.7_2 I had to reinstall this ntpd, because the update overwrote the webUI files.

Other than that, it's a breeze to install by just following the instructions listed on the github page.

Reactions: JDB
Umm, on second thought... I just rebooted and the NTP Daemon tab is gone again. The daemon is running in the background, but the webUI-patch isn't applied at boot time anymore.

Would suggest the www directory isn’t getting mounted from your USB. Have you double checked k the post mount script has the commands?

Would suggest the www directory isn’t getting mounted from your USB. Have you double checked k the post mount script has the commands?
/jffs/scripts/post-mount looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh 

swapon /tmp/mnt/USB256/myswap.swp # Swap file created by amtm 
mount -a 
service restart_httpd 
. /jffs/scripts/post-mount.div # Added by Diversion

If I run service restart_httpd manaully after boot, the tab appears correctly.

Maybe add a “sleep 5” after the mount -a
Although mount is a blocking function so shouldn’t run the restart until it’s actually mounted

/jffs/scripts/post-mount looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh 

swapon /tmp/mnt/USB256/myswap.swp # Swap file created by amtm 
mount -a 
service restart_httpd 
. /jffs/scripts/post-mount.div # Added by Diversion

If I run service restart_httpd manaully after boot, the tab appears correctly.

Maybe move the mount -a line after the Diversion entry. Mine loads Entware.

Trying to install this script for my RT-AC86U and I am getting this when I install the second command from Step 4:
@RT-AC86U-99A8:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom start

Starting ntpd... failed.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I can actually see the NTP Daemon tab under Tools but nothing else. Obviously, I am not done installing it my by I am not sure why I can move forward with this.

Step 4: Run the following command to manually start ntpd as litmus test
  • cp /jffs/configs/fstab /etc; mount -a
  • /opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom start
  • /jffs/bin/ntpstats.sh

Trying to install this script for my RT-AC86U and I am getting this when I install the second command from Step 4:
@RT-AC86U-99A8:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom start

Starting ntpd... failed.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I can actually see the NTP Daemon tab under Tools but nothing else. Obviously, I am not done installing it my by I am not sure why I can move forward with this.

Step 4: Run the following command to manually start ntpd as litmus test
  • cp /jffs/configs/fstab /etc; mount -a
  • /opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom start
  • /jffs/bin/ntpstats.sh

The 86U needs some updating to make it work - it’s on my list.
Can you follow these steps - https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rums.com/index.php?posts/401588/&share_type=t

The 86U needs some updating to make it work - it’s on my list.
Can you follow these steps - https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=52425&share_tid=28041&share_pid=401588&url=https://www.snbforums.com/index.php?posts/401588/&share_type=t

I followed those steps but did not achieve any success in the page getting updated. I did find however that the new "stats.rrd" that gets created is only 2848 bytes while the original is 128280 bytes, and am wondering if this could be why? Everthing else in my case appears to be correct and working.

@JDB Thank you for this. I am new at how user scripts work and I think I may be having a bit of a hard time understanding/following where at @spanjap instructions fit in @kvic installation steps. If you have a better step-by-step guide on how to do this, I would appreciate a copy :).

Yep, I’ll work on getting it sorted ASAP!
I don’t have an 86U though so might have to ask a couple of people to test stuff for me [emoji51]

[QUOTE

There are the following issues after installing which have to be fixed:
- The files ntpd, ntpdc and ntpq in /jffs/bin are 32-bit.
Install ntp-utils with 'opkg install ntp-utils'. Copy ntpdc and ntpq from /opt/var/spool/ntp to /jffs/bin.
Install ntpd with 'opkg install ntpd'. Copy ntpd from /opt/sbin to /jffs/bin.
- The stats.rrd file in "/opt/var/spool/ntp" is 32-bit and needs to be converted to 64-bit.
See next post for stats.xml code.​

[/QUOTE]

@spanjap This is probably very easy to do but since I am new at this......How do you do the above lines in bold? I have already installed nap-utils and ntpd. Thank you.

I don’t have an 86U though so might have to ask a couple of people to test stuff for me [emoji51]

Thank you very much!!

[QUOTE

There are the following issues after installing which have to be fixed:
- The files ntpd, ntpdc and ntpq in /jffs/bin are 32-bit.
Install ntp-utils with 'opkg install ntp-utils'. Copy ntpdc and ntpq from /opt/var/spool/ntp to /jffs/bin.
Install ntpd with 'opkg install ntpd'. Copy ntpd from /opt/sbin to /jffs/bin.
- The stats.rrd file in "/opt/var/spool/ntp" is 32-bit and needs to be converted to 64-bit.
See next post for stats.xml code.​

@spanjap This is probably very easy to do but since I am new at this......How do you do the above lines in bold? I have already installed nap-utils and ntpd. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Code:
cp /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntpdc /jffs/bin/
cp /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntpdq /jffs/bin/
cp /opt/sbin/ntpd /jffs/bin/

Available to test, whenever you may have something ready.

@spanjap This is probably very easy to do but since I am new at this......How do you do the above lines in bold? I have already installed nap-utils and ntpd. Thank you.
Code:
cp /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntpdc /jffs/bin/
cp /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntpdq /jffs/bin/
cp /opt/sbin/ntpd /jffs/bin/
[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!