What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks!
Should i do something about those
kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x2041: Clock Unsynchronized
?

Thanks!
Should i do something about those
kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x2041: Clock Unsynchronized
?
Ignore them if it happens at boot time

Regarding the redirect all NTP traffic option:

I have a Raspberry Pi on my network running various tasks and I had a situation the other day where I had to restore an old backup to its SD card. When the Pi booted, its clock was of course set to the date that the backup was made. I had a catch-22 situation where it was then unable to contact any of its time servers to sync the time, because the time and date were completely wrong.

I have ntpMerlin running on my AC-86U with the redirect all traffic toggle enabled. Should this have intercepted the traffic from the Pi and responded with the correct time & date information set on the router? The Pi is connected via eth0 is that makes any difference.

I had an interesting (read frustrating) issue today. I have a couple Neato Botvacs and today I noticed both showed offline. I tried to reboot them and I tried to reconnect them to the wifi and nothing worked. It would fail connecting to internet.

Did some log railing on skynet and turned off diversion and still it didn’t work. Then tailed unbound and validated the domains via dig. I would see it requesting the neato sites but I also saw it ask for pool.org. This got me thinking and a year or so ago I had issues with a wink hub going offline and not reconnecting on reboot and I fixed that by turning off the built on NTP server from Merlin and that fixed it.

So, I simply turned off redirect all NTP via the port 123 rules ntpmerlin sets up and all works fine. Both instantly connected.

Guess they are not compatible with being redirected. Do some do some sort of domain validation?

Is there someway to debug this? For now I need to leave the redirect rule out.

Regarding the redirect all NTP traffic option:

I have a Raspberry Pi on my network running various tasks and I had a situation the other day where I had to restore an old backup to its SD card. When the Pi booted, its clock was of course set to the date that the backup was made. I had a catch-22 situation where it was then unable to contact any of its time servers to sync the time, because the time and date were completely wrong.

I have ntpMerlin running on my AC-86U with the redirect all traffic toggle enabled. Should this have intercepted the traffic from the Pi and responded with the correct time & date information set on the router? The Pi is connected via eth0 is that makes any difference.

Run these two commands, they will show what server they tried to use.
Code:
 timedatectl
systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service
on your Pi.

I personally modified the setting to use my router IP adding a valid NTP line.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf

Now when I run the commands above I see my Pi synced successfully with my router.

Code:
 timedatectl
on your Pi.

Code:

Now when I run the commands above I see my Pi synced successfully with my router.
yea i have a rpi with no issues on time sync with this setup with redirect on.

I had an interesting (read frustrating) issue today. I have a couple Neato Botvacs and today I noticed both showed offline. I tried to reboot them and I tried to reconnect them to the wifi and nothing worked. It would fail connecting to internet.

Did some log railing on skynet and turned off diversion and still it didn’t work. Then tailed unbound and validated the domains via dig. I would see it requesting the neato sites but I also saw it ask for pool.org. This got me thinking and a year or so ago I had issues with a wink hub going offline and not reconnecting on reboot and I fixed that by turning off the built on NTP server from Merlin and that fixed it.

So, I simply turned off redirect all NTP via the port 123 rules ntpmerlin sets up and all works fine. Both instantly connected.

Guess they are not compatible with being redirected. Do some do some sort of domain validation?

Is there someway to debug this? For now I need to leave the redirect rule out.
I recommend confirming that these are simply just not being blocked via ad filters and unbound, before adapting the assumption it is strictly the redirect option. I noticed serv-fails passing for the same type of addresses you mention, but I also use IPv6 enabled which can cover time sync if ipv4 fails. (note redirect skips ipv6 which supports your argument that the redirect is the issue).

I recommend confirming that these are simply just not being blocked via ad filters and unbound, before adapting the assumption it is strictly the redirect option. I noticed serv-fails passing for the same type of addresses you mention, but I also use IPv6 enabled which can cover time sync if ipv4 fails. (note redirect skips ipv6 which supports your argument that the redirect is the issue).

Good thought, and I did do that. I turned off diversion and I turned off skynet and tracked unbound to see that the requests for pool.org came back with NO ERROR. This seems to be completely tied to the redirect NTP IP rules and/or the response which NTPD returns.

Good thought, and I did do that. I turned off diversion and I turned off skynet and tracked unbound to see that the requests for pool.org came back with NO ERROR. This seems to be completely tied to the redirect NTP IP rules and/or the response which NTPD returns.
I don't think it is because the IDEA of redirect, I think it has to do with the way it is redirected. It is too "powerful"; it is trying to capture too much. I like the @RMerlin '(s) firmware version redirect, which i believe may not be as powerful and sufficient for redirect.

this is more of a hypothesis (uneducated guess) and may need to be tested.

@juched ,if you get the time, test it out please and let me know, i am curious.
( I would but I am away from home for a while.., my job has me helping fight this pandemic that is going around).

I don't think it is because the IDEA of redirect, I think it has to do with the way it is redirected. It is too "powerful"; it is trying to capture too much. I like the @RMerlin '(s) firmware version redirect, which i believe may not be as powerful and sufficient for redirect.

this is more of a hypothesis (uneducated guess) and may need to be tested.

@juched ,if you get the time, test it out please and let me know, i am curious.
( I would but I am away from home for a while.., my job has me helping fight this pandemic that is going around).

Remove ntpmerlin and use the built in one to test?

I'm having no luck getting my Windows 10 machine to sync with any NTP servers that came with Windows 10, even new NTP servers I added. The firewall keeps blocking the NTP sync on port 123 although I have added exceptions to the firewall. No matter what I do the time service only gets the time from the cmos.

So my question is if I install this script, how do I point my Windows 10 desktop to it and allow my Windows 10 machine to use this script?

I'm having no luck getting my Windows 10 machine to sync with any NTP servers that came with Windows 10, even new NTP servers I added. The firewall keeps blocking the NTP sync on port 123 although I have added exceptions to the firewall. No matter what I do the time service only gets the time from the cmos.

So my question is if I install this script, how do I point my Windows 10 desktop to it and allow my Windows 10 machine to use this script?
My windows 10 PCs (2), and a Raspberry Pi are set to sync off 192.168.1.1. I’m using the built in Merlin time server on my RT-AC1900P router. Works great.

By "the firewall" do you mean via the "Network Services Filter" in the Firewall GUI, or being blocked by Skynet?

By "the firewall" do you mean via the "Network Services Filter" in the Firewall GUI, or being blocked by Skynet?

hello,

I'm talking about the default Windows 10 firewall, not skynet or diversion. :D But I finally found were port 123 was being blocked and unblocked it.

So like donbru said, point the ntp server to my default asus merlin ip. the same ip i use to log in with? the 192.168.50.1?

hello,

I'm talking about the default Windows 10 firewall, not skynet or diversion. :D But I finally found were port 123 was being blocked and unblocked it.

So like donbru said, point the ntp server to my default asus merlin ip. the same ip i use to log in with? the 192.168.50.1?
Yes

Code:
 timedatectl
on your Pi.

Code:

Hadn't realised you has responded to my post. Thanks for this! I edited the timesyncd file and added the router IP address in here and it now says that it synced first time to 192.168.1.1:123.

Out of interest, did you add it to the NTP line, or FallbackNTP?

Cheers

Hadn't realised you has responded to my post. Thanks for this! I edited the timesyncd file and added the router IP address in here and it now says that it synced first time to 192.168.1.1:123.

Out of interest, did you add it to the NTP line, or FallbackNTP?

Cheers

I used NTP line.
Glad it is working.

@Jack Yaz

Is there a way to add the Min/Max/Avg to the UI like in your speedtest UI??

Thanks for the work!!