What's new

Number of waps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nlehrer54

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I am running current merlin on a rt-ac1900. I was looking at the part of merlin supporting wireless access points. I see it is limited to 4 waps. Is that limit due to performance concerns?

Thanks

By "wireless access points" are you referring to the primary wireless network and the guest wireless networks? Each band can have it's own guest networks giving a total of 8, 2 primary and 6 guest.

Hi.

I am running current merlin on a rt-ac1900. I was looking at the part of merlin supporting wireless access points. I see it is limited to 4 waps. Is that limit due to performance concerns?

Thanks

I don't know, the entire implementation is from Asus, and large portions of the wireless-related code is closed source and outside of my control.

Personally I see no reason why someone would need more than that. If you do, you are probably running a business, in which case you'd be better with a more robust solution than a SOHO router.

I don't know, the entire implementation is from Asus, and large portions of the wireless-related code is closed source and outside of my control.
As far as physical access points (hard-wired back to a switch) we have had as many as 6 in one giant mansion with no ill effects. Each had its own {SSID} and {SSID}_5G names.

By "wireless access points" are you referring to the primary wireless network and the guest wireless networks? Each band can have it's own guest networks giving a total of 8, 2 primary and 6 guest.

if i go into advanced|wireless settings|WDS, it says "Remote AP List (Max Limit : 4)"

so i thought it is limited to 4 APs. is that not correct? the asus manual is a little obscure.

Personally I see no reason why someone would need more than that. If you do, you are probably running a business, in which case you'd be better with a more robust solution than a SOHO router.

thank you.

@nlehrer54 I think we're all talking at crossed purposes. Maybe you should explain what you understand to be a "wireless access point".

if i go into advanced|wireless settings|WDS, it says "Remote AP List (Max Limit : 4)"
This setting is only applicable when the router is configured as part of a WDS. In this scenario the router is connecting wirelessly to other wireless access points.

What most people think of as a wireless access point is a stand-alone device that provides WiFi coverage and is connected by Ethernet cable to a central router or switch. In this setup the Asus can support any number of access points, limited only by the number of Ethernet connections available.

@nlehrer54 I think we're all talking at crossed purposes. Maybe you should explain what you understand to be a "wireless access point".

This setting is only applicable when the router is configured as part of a WDS. In this scenario the router is connecting wirelessly to other wireless access points.

What most people think of as a wireless access point is a stand-alone device that provides WiFi coverage and is connected by Ethernet cable to a central router or switch. In this setup the Asus can support any number of access points, limited only by the number of Ethernet connections available.

That's it! How do you connect/select APs connected thru ethernet. Thanks

Maybe I'm being dense here, but don't i i have to set anything on the asus? Or is all the setup on the AP telling it to get info from the ASUS?

Maybe I'm being dense here, but don't i i have to set anything on the asus? Or is all the setup on the AP telling it to get info from the ASUS?
You don't have to do anything on the Asus. As for the AP's themselves, they will come with instructions on how to configure their SSID's and passwords. This usually involves running a utility program that automatically detects the AP, or pointing your web browser at a particular address.

You don't have to do anything on the Asus. As for the AP's themselves, they will come with instructions on how to configure their SSID's and passwords. This usually involves running a utility program that automatically detects the AP, or pointing your web browser at a particular address.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!