What's new

Odd Moca issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wentzel

New Around Here
Hi I am new here and also new to Moca. I have a Linksys Velop mesh system with 5 nodes, a cable modem and 3 Moca adaptors. I have the older 803m units. One unit is located at the switch connected to my router, that is connected to my cablemodem (docsis 3.0). The others are at 2 mesh locations around the house to increase my connection speeds there. I have a poe filter at the cable entrance, replaced the splitter at the entrance with a moca compatible one. Speed is good and I am happy with it.

The one issue I have is that the 803m all go silent (ports are closed and I can't login to the web or ssh) after a few minutes. a Power cycle will bring it back for a few minutes. I can always ping them and their throughputs are great and all lights indicate everything is good. They work as advertised, I just have to power cycle if I want to get into them via the web interface.

The units do not have encryption on, have been switched to a 192.168.1.x network using DHCP. Otherwise out of the box setup.

The only thing that is different in my network setup, is that I work in Industrial Automation and so I have a lot of "odd" equipment on my network. I have several PLC's, HMI's, protocol gateways etc. Mostly passing modbus TCP (if you know what that is) and all of them have static IP's.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

may be they get sleepy.
Seriously, contact GOCOAX directly although they do check in here from time to time in the thread they started.

I did try that and they started with the usual send us screen shots etc. I am not dismissing their support, it is important to gather all the facts. The issue is sort of a first world problem. It works for passing data and works well. I am well pleased with it and would not hesitate to recommend them to someone else. Do I need the web interface once set up? Nope and I can always power cycle and do what I need to do before it goes to sleep. On the other hand, I would love to learn why it is a problem. Maybe there is something wrong with my network design, etc. I just want to know for knowing sake.

I have an unanswered (by me) email from them. I will see where that goes.

thanks for the suggestions.

The only thing that is different in my network setup, is that I work in Industrial Automation and so I have a lot of "odd" equipment on my network. I have several PLC's, HMI's, protocol gateways etc. Mostly passing modbus TCP (if you know what that is) and all of them have static IP's.
If this is a test or development environment, can all of the “odd” equipment be temporarily shutdown, to see what the goCoax behavior is without their presence? If the goCoax adapter web interface remains available absent these other devices, power the “odd” gear up sequentially, but testing the goCoax web UI connectivity after each device is powered-on.

Similarly, it would be interesting to test whether the problem occurs with all (4?) remote Velop nodes powered-down.

yes I already tried that. I shut down all the work stuff and left only my regular house stuff (several pc's, Macs, and IOT stuff that should not affect it. I power cycled the moca box at the router, logged in to make sure it was working. I then waited a few minutes (usually around 10) and lost connection to the moca. It still is working, can be pinged but a port scan shows port 80 is closed. I also turned off all the switches I have but one at the router, in case some weird arp cache thing was the issue. I have done the port scan from both a Mac and a PC with the same results.

It is the weirdest thing and I do not think it is the moca boxes, since I am not buying all three are bad. I have one left over (I bought 4 and used 3). My next plan is to make a new network that is separate to mine, and see if I can replicate it. I'll have to steal one from the working network, but it will be worth it for peace of mind. I think I will try it without a router first and then add that in to see what happens. If that works it almost has to be my router? I've been wanting to move to a Ubiquiti, and with Moca it will be easier. I can add some proper Plans and segment the work stuff off to itself. I live in a 100+ year old house and pulling ethernet cable is difficult and a no no with she who must be obeyed.

thank you for the suggestions and if you think of something I missed, I am open to suggestions.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!