What's new

Official ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had to reboot my modem last day and to be sure I rebooted the router as well. I've watched the router and it was in fact rebooting 3 times but the 2.4Ghz radio LED remainded on during the reboots and the 5Ghz LED stayed off as it was configured as administratively shutdown. After the 3 reboots, within a minute, also the 2.4Ghz radio shut down and that's it. Waited for more then an hour but still remained to be shut down. Also I noticed that the date/time was not set to the correct date/time, it was set as if it was initialized for the first time. The only way to solve this was to go to "Administration" -> "System"-page and just click the "Apply"-button. Within +/- 10 seconds, the 2.4Ghz radio turned back on again and the date/time was also set correctly. So, I guess I have an additional problem.... But am I the only one having this issue?
PS: Apologies for the late response on your answer....

Looks like you have a radio schedule configured on the Wireless -> Professional page. Since your router fails to properly set its clock when it connects to the Internet, that causes issues with the radio schedule.

I've seen a few reports of NTP issues, but so far have been unable to reproduce them here. I suspect the issue might not happen if your WAN interface is DHCP, only with other connection types (like PPPoE perhaps).

If running Asuswrt-Merlin, you could probably work around the issue by having a wan-start user script manually update your clock once the WAN interface comes up:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
ntpclient -h time.nrc.ca -s

Looks like you have a radio schedule configured on the Wireless -> Professional page. Since your router fails to properly set its clock when it connects to the Internet, that causes issues with the radio schedule.

I've seen a few reports of NTP issues, but so far have been unable to reproduce them here. I suspect the issue might not happen if your WAN interface is DHCP, only with other connection types (like PPPoE perhaps).

If running Asuswrt-Merlin, you could probably work around the issue by having a wan-start user script manually update your clock once the WAN interface comes up:

Merlin,

Thank you for your answer. Below are some details on my configuration.
My router is running the ASUS FW 3.0.0.4.260.
The 5Ghz radio is administratively shutdown as it's not used (yet).
The 2.4Ghz radio has a scheduled shutdown every night between 23:59 - 07:30
The WAN-port of the router has a fixed IP-address as it has a point-to-point connection to the modem with no other nodes on that network-segment.
The default gateway and DNS-server are set at the IP-address of the modem.

As you pointed me in the right direction, I've changed the "WAN Connection Type" from "Static IP" into "Automatic IP" and saved the changes. Unplugged the powercord, waited for a minute and powered it back on again. Again, the router seems to be rebooting 3 times, but at the end... EUREKA... The 2.4Ghz radio remainded on and the date/time was also set correctly.

Thank you Merlin pointing me in the right direction, although I find it strange that a fixed IP-setting on the WAN-port is causing this strange issue.

Again a big THANKS!! :)

Since upgrading the firmware the wireless has been very unstable. I am not sure what firmware I was on before, it might have been 246 and it was rock solid. Is there any way of finding it? Can I go back and flash 246?

Since upgrading the firmware the wireless has been very unstable. I am not sure what firmware I was on before, it might have been 246 and it was rock solid. Is there any way of finding it? Can I go back and flash 246?

Yes, you can flash to older versions without any problem.

RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_321.trx

I have seen this beta was circulating. Dear Eric, did you try it?
Maybe new Broadcom driver is there already?

I've seen it, but I haven't had time to look closely at it yet. It's slightly newer than the 3.0.0.5.318 beta I had from before Xmas.

I only had a quick glance at the webui files in it, I see changes related to Access Point mode, Dual WAN, and they are implementing a password strength reporter to ensure people use strong passwords for their router login (especially important due to AiCloud).

Beyond that, no idea, didn't have time to try it.

I had to switch to some other firmwares, due to the fact that this one did not function properly.
From time to time to router would not let me access the webui and I did not have any wan connectivity, wired or wireless....:(

Build 321 does have a newer wireless driver.

Any news on revised modem support ?

I am using Merlin's latest release (266.23) and my E398 and E3267 LTE modems do not work.

Last edited:
FW 3.0.0.4.270 solved my issue

Merlin,

Thank you for your answer. Below are some details on my configuration.
My router is running the ASUS FW 3.0.0.4.260.
The 5Ghz radio is administratively shutdown as it's not used (yet).
The 2.4Ghz radio has a scheduled shutdown every night between 23:59 - 07:30
The WAN-port of the router has a fixed IP-address as it has a point-to-point connection to the modem with no other nodes on that network-segment.
The default gateway and DNS-server are set at the IP-address of the modem.

As you pointed me in the right direction, I've changed the "WAN Connection Type" from "Static IP" into "Automatic IP" and saved the changes. Unplugged the powercord, waited for a minute and powered it back on again. Again, the router seems to be rebooting 3 times, but at the end... EUREKA... The 2.4Ghz radio remainded on and the date/time was also set correctly.

Thank you Merlin pointing me in the right direction, although I find it strange that a fixed IP-setting on the WAN-port is causing this strange issue.

Again a big THANKS!! :)

As FYI,
I've just installed the 3.0.0.4.270 FW and the issue what I had (see above) is solved. With a fixed IP on the WAN side, the 5GHz radio administratively shutdown; after the reboot, the date/time was set correctly AND the 2.4GHz radio remains on....