What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies, guys. I was going to move the TM-AC1900 posts to a new thread and accidentally deleted them.

Last edited:
Not sure really ... maybe you can tell us? :)
I would think once you have "fixed" your Master and the other slave Node, start from scratch, do Hard Reset an NVRAM Rest on all 3 and go from there?
At least you are then going from a known state as per the ASUS setup guide ...

StephenH

Did not get to work on it yet, but my question is that do I "disconnect" the nodes before starting work on the Master? Or just do a hard reset?

When updating the firmware of an AiMesh system, should the AiMesh router be updated before the AiMesh nodes or vise versa?
Thanks for the effort to bring this functionality, it it really great.

Folks, please use the following thread for further TM-AC1900 discussions:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t-mobile-cellspot.19435/
Respectfully I don't see how my issue was a TM-AC1900 issue. True the 68Us came from those but they are running the latest beta code 14d5. The problem I was describing was one of a 68U apparently not becoming an aimesh AP that was visible to the aimesh router. Either 68U worked as a router but not an AP.
Do you think that is a TM-AC1900 issue?

Respectfully I don't see how my issue was a TM-AC1900 issue. True the 68Us came from those but they are running the latest beta code 14d5. The problem I was describing was one of a 68U apparently not becoming an aimesh AP that was visible to the aimesh router. Either 68U worked as a router but not an AP.
Do you think that is a TM-AC1900 issue?

My post was targeted at those discussing how to convert their TM-AC1900.

On the Administration page of the ASUS firmware user interface, what is the difference between the modes of "Access Point(AP) mode/AiMesh Router in AP mode" and "AiMesh node" if I am trying to use a 68U as AiMesh AP node?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
Waiting for this firmware to come out for the Rapture. I am on the fence about just going with an orbi right now but, would rather pick up a 68u and use my rapture for mesh. Any possible release date on even a beta version for the rapture?

StephenH and dirtyclyde, here is an update. I did reset and re-do all the 3 routers, and thanks to dirtyclyde's code, verified that everything was going OK . There were a few heart-stopping moments when things did not work out or the node could not be seen, but I persevered, went back to reset everything - and did multiple hard resets and NVRAM resets all the time (this was the key). Now I have everything working perfectly !

Thanks a lot guys. Would never have figured it out without the two of you. And of course, Wilson_Deng, arthurlien and goggles99 without whom none of this would be possible anyway.

Waiting for this firmware to come out for the Rapture. I am on the fence about just going with an orbi right now but, would rather pick up a 68u and use my rapture for mesh. Any possible release date on even a beta version for the rapture?

It works for GT-AC5300, but only as node for now. So you'll need another router that can be router in AiMesh. Check the first post on this topic for firmware.
Is not a bad release, but is far from good. Although is stable, GT-AC5300 can act only as node and is not negotiating more than 20MHz channel spacing and it doesn't use both 5GHz radios. So there plenty more work Asus needs to invest to put this workhorse to its place. Right now is far far away from what it can do.

Last edited:
On the Administration page of the ASUS firmware user interface, what is the difference between the modes of "Access Point(AP) mode/AiMesh Router in AP mode" and "AiMesh node" if I am trying to use a 68U as AiMesh AP node?

1. Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default) - that's the most common use case. Router is a router+wifi and it can have a node attached. Or not, if you don't want to build an AiMesh
2. Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode - when you need only WiFi and routing and NAT is performed by another device. It can have a node attached if you want to do AiMesh.
3. Repeater mode
4. Media Bridge
5. AiMesh node
Last 3 are self explanatory.

You can disconnect it

It works for GT-AC5300, but only as node for now. So you'll need another router that can be router in AiMesh. Check the first post on this topic for firmware.
Is not a bad release, but is far from good. Although is stable, GT-AC5300 can act only as node and is not negotiating more than 20MHz channel spacing and it doesn't use both 5GHz radios. So there plenty more work Asus needs to invest to put this workhorse to its place. Right now is far far away from what it can do.

I meant to use it as the server/main router. I did read that the tri bands do not have that functionality yet. I just did not know what the plan was for that. It would be silly for me to use the 68u as my main router and the 5300 as a node just to get AImesh working unfortunately. I will sit back and wait for a while and hope that Asus can find a way to harness the power of this router and create a quality mesh firmware/architecture. Although right now I do not have a ton of faith as even the standard GT-AC5300 firmware is buggy.

Bumping this... @arthurlien @Wilson_Deng

Will the AC66U B1 ever supported? Considering whether to get this to upgrade my N66U with, and this plays a factor.

I have a AC66U_B1 which I just installed the latest AiMesh firmware on (RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_382_18943-g5cf14d5). The router works just fine with that FW, but the AiMesh icon does not apear on the front screen, and my AC68U (with same FW) is not able to detect it as a node. However if I click the "Quick Internet Setup" button on the AC66U_B1, there is a wizard for AiMesh setup, but it doesn't work in regards to AiMesh.

Any suggestions anyone? If not I guess we just have to wait until the AC66U_B1 is supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!