What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you give me a ID to identify which one you sent ? or you can try the official version.

Arthur,

I left AiMesh Router RT-AC5300 with current Beta FW AC86U_9.0.0.4_382_19612 and
I have updated AiMesh Nodes RT-AC86U and RT-AC68U to Official FW 3.0.0.4_384_10007

I am still experiencing the same issue:
RT-AC68U - AiMesh Node, I get close to 0.5 gbps when connected to LAN Port of AiMesh Node
RT-AC86U - AiMesh Node, I get close to 1.0 gbps when connected to LAN Port of AiMesh Node.

I will send feedback again refer to this post ID #1034

Last edited:
Just updated my AiMesh to Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_10007-g8e859e9 OK

Just noticed the official support section for the AC86U is also listing 10007 w/aimesh. Is the recommendation to move to official firmware or will we still have more regular betas?

official...
Just for information purposes, the "Download" Link on official page https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/
for RT-AC86U points to RT-AC68U page.

I was able to update my 86U via the gui, as I had reverted back from beta testing to the standard version and was very pleased to see the official AIMesh release.

My 68R had the 11/17/2017 beta firmware and was set as node previously. When I tried to update that node to the new version manually, I had difficulty logging into the GUI (it wouldn't add as a node via the main router). It took me to a different setup page with no ability to update firmware. After resetting, restarting and substituting for my main router, I was finally able to manually update to the latest official AIMesh firmware, I added it back as a node, and everything is working as expected now.

Just for information purposes, the "Download" Link on official page https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/
for RT-AC86U points to RT-AC68U page.
Looks like the RT-AC68U points to the RT-AC68R file. Is there even a difference? Same question regarding RT-AC1900. I have an converted TM-AC1900 but I thought it now is an RT-AC68U.

Oh, and as said, the "real" 68U file is found thru the RT-AC86U link. :eek:

I think I'll wait for the dust to settle.

BTW, since the firmware went from 382 to 384, is an NVRAM erase necessary? I guess a factory reset does that too?

UPDATE: I downloaded the new AC68U file and installed the trx manually from GUI Administration/Firmware Upgrade. I did 1st the node, waited a while and all seemed good with some realtime apps running. Then updated the router. Waited a few minutes after it re-booted and logged-in. Everything was working as before, so maybe no reset of re-pairing nodes is necessary.

Last edited:
I just did a binary file comparison between the new RT-AC1900, RT-AC68R, and RT-AC68U trx files and they are identical (as I expected). So the only f'd-up link to be concerned with it the RT-AC86U. IDK if it matters.

Any news for support RT-AC66U_B1?

(Sorry - somehow managed to delete my earlier post - so re-posting here)

Hi

I've just ordered an RT-AC5300 which should be with me tomorrow. I will see how I go with performance/coverage, but suspect I will benefit from using Aimesh with another router. A few questions....

• Any idea when the official firmware will be released?
  • How buggy is the current BETA and what are main issues currently known?
  • Which router do people recommend for the node?

Thanks so much!

I just got the production firmware. I had Smart connect off before due to some problems with devices not playing nicely on my network. To take advantage of AiMesh, should I turn smart connect back on? 88U and 68U.

Arthur,

Observation about sending feedback from Router UI:
  • When My MacBookPro is attached to AiMesh Router (Ethernet Connection), Feedback will be send successfully to ASUS
  • However, When it is attached to AiMesh Node, the Feedback sending process would fail, claims that port 25 was blocked, and instructions was give to do copy and paste content to router_feedback@asus.com

AC68U update to the offical firmware 3.0.0.4.384_10007, wifi mac address filters still not working(last know good firmware is the nov beta), node will reject the device even on the accept list, only can connect to AP/main
will try reset all the node but I need to take time to take them down from ceiling to repairing them

update 1: don't need to place it close to the main ap now, well done
update 2: still not working after factory reset, and found the wifi mac filter need to be disable before add a node even the node 2.4G/5G mac are on the accept list.
update 3: reset again, setup mac filter list on the AP first then add the node, this time the mac filter working correctly

Last edited:
@thiggins @arthurlien @Wilson_Deng

Not sure how this is normally handled but ...

Now that AIMesh is out of beta may I suggest this Thread gets renamed accordingly so that we can continue specific discussion of AIMesh including production releases here but not lose the beta discussion which has ongoing historical value (and a couple of models are indeed still in beta).

Also, first post probably needs to be updated to point people to the official firmware that now includes AiMesh?

StephenH

I just got the production firmware. I had Smart connect off before due to some problems with devices not playing nicely on my network. To take advantage of AiMesh, should I turn smart connect back on? 88U and 68U.

If you plan to use 2.4 than yes.
I'm not looking for 2.4 at all. I'm only keeping it on for few devices unable to do 5GHz. But I don't want any device capable of 5GHz to connect ever to 2.4. All channels are overloaded in my area so connecting to it it's more pain than benefits.

My log is filling up with this line: kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4
Im running current Version : 9.0.0.4.382_19612-g01e94f5 on a GT-AC5300.
Whats this all about and do u know if its going to be taken care of. I created a feedback file to Asus with this.
Regards
Dive

Hi All,
New here and was trying to get an AiMesh set up with my two TM1900 routers that I converted to the AC68U. I have the official firmware updated from 1/2/2018 for AiMesh, but I'm unable to find any nodes. Does anyone have a cheat sheet on it? I've tried the instructions and resets many times without luck. Thanks much in advance!

Is not user impacting. Next release, most likely that will be the official one for GT-AC5300, will make this message not to appear.
I send them this feedback couple of weeks ago and I can confirm it's ok with the release I'm running now. Wait a couple more days for Asus to publish it.

Hi All,
New here and was trying to get an AiMesh set up with my two TM1900 routers that I converted to the AC68U. I have the official firmware updated from 1/2/2018 for AiMesh, but I'm unable to find any nodes. Does anyone have a cheat sheet on it? I've tried the instructions and resets many times without luck. Thanks much in advance!
To use a former TM-AC1900 as an AiMesh router, you need to update the CFE to a "real" RT-AC68U CFE. See post #288, but continue reading because there's some missing info on patching the MACs. Nodes can continue to use the CFE you flashed as part of the conversion from TM-AC1900. But I went ahead and updated all 3 of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!