What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
something wrong, i still didn't receive your feedback. @@ maybe i can give you a test f/w for RE offline issue. Have any improve for cpu load issue after turn off Adaptive QoS ?

I turned the QoS off and the cpu is 100% everytime that I try to use my full speed, actually everytime that I use 100mb the cpu goes to 100% and my speed is stucked on 1,5mb, I turned the IA protection OFF and nothing changed, probably is another problem, I am not having the NODE offline issue anymore, the two nodes are online and using cable option.

I got it... :), Could you check the log as Maliclous Sites Blocking , Two-Way IPS, Infected Device Prevention and Blocking in AiProtection ?

How can I get the AI log? I will attach some screens for you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 598
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 535
The VPN (Astrill) router had been flashed with Merlin 380.59 and the spare AC68U had been updated with the latest stocked firmware. May I know am I able to have this AiMesh setup and also the VPN? If yes, can u guys kindly please advise on how to do it and should the configuration be VPN as the master router or the slave?
Thank you very much.....

The answer is “no” for now, as both Routers require the AIMesh firmware which is a variant of the stock ASUS builds, and there is no Merlin variant yet that has AIMesh in it, as it’s WAY too new. He may do it down the track if it proves doable, but it may be a way off.

What you COULD do is get another AC68U and leave your Merlin one (with wireless turned off) as your main router with VPN, and have the other 2 loaded with the AIMesh firmware both in AP mode. But that means spending more money of course.

StephenH

Last edited:
The answer is “no” for now, as both Routers require the AIMesh firmware which is a variant of the stock ASUS builds, and there is no Merlin variant yet that has AIMesh in it, as it’s WAY too new. He may do it down the track if it proves doable, but it may be a way off.

What you COULD do is get another AC68U and leave your Merlin one (with wireless turned off) as your main router with VPN, and have the other 2 loaded with the AIMesh firmware both in AP mode. But that means spending more money of course. If you have some technical skills you can convert cheap TM-AC1900 routers to AC68U to keep cost down.

StephenH

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for the prompt reply and advice.

From my understanding, that means the configuration as follow:-
Configuration 1:-
Telco's modem - >

Merlin (both bands of wireless disabled and using LAN cables connect to) - >
AiMesh #1 (Existing spare AC68U) -- connect via wifi ->
AiMesh #2 (Get another unit)
Users (family and me) will now connect to AiMesh #1 or #2 instead of Merlin previously.
My initial plan was to setup as follow:-
Configuration 2:-
Telco's modem - >

Merlin (With the present settings and Wifi enabled) - connect via LAN cable or Wifi ->
Existing spare AC68U (As AP if by Cable and as Repeater Mode if by Wifi)

Users (family and me) will connect Merlin like before.
Based on the above two configurations, can you kindly please share with me what are the advantages that configuration 1 have over configuration 2?

Thank you once again.....
David

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for the prompt reply and advice.

From my understanding, that means the configuration as follow:-
Configuration 1:-
Telco's modem - >

Merlin (both bands of wireless disabled and using LAN cables connect to) - >
AiMesh #1 (Existing spare AC68U) -- connect via wifi ->
AiMesh #2 (Get another unit)
Users (family and me) will now connect to AiMesh #1 or #2 instead of Merlin previously.
My initial plan was to setup as follow:-
Configuration 2:-
Telco's modem - >

Merlin (With the present settings and Wifi enabled) - connect via LAN cable or Wifi ->
Existing spare AC68U (As AP if by Cable and as Repeater Mode if by Wifi)
Users (family and me) will connect Merlin like before.
Based on the above two configurations, can you kindly please share with me what are the advantages that configuration 1 have over configuration 2?

Thank you once again.....
David

I am trying to use the config 1 over here right now,

ONT --------------------------> ASUS AC68 MERLIN with all ON --------------> LAN cable -----------------------------------------------> to WAN input of an ASUS AC68U in Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode
--------------------------------------------> LAN CABLE to WAN of another ASUSAC68U in NODE MODE

I only have wifi and internet on MERLIN, no internet on NODE 2# and looks like there is no internet on AIMESH AP ROUTER

Can´t figure out why

I am trying to use the config 1 over here right now,

ONT --------------------------> ASUS AC68 MERLIN with all ON --------------> LAN cable -----------------------------------------------> to WAN input of an ASUS AC68U in Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode
--------------------------------------------> LAN CABLE to WAN of another ASUSAC68U in NODE MODE

I only have wifi and internet on MERLIN, no internet on NODE 2# and looks like there is no internet on AIMESH AP ROUTER

Can´t figure out why

I reset everything and now it´s working, here is:

ONT ISP -------> ASUS AC68U MERLIN with NO WIFI ----------> LAN to WAN of ASUSAC68 AIMESH with WIFI and NODE1 connect with CABLE ---> 4 devices in NODE1
NODE2 is in the basement and I will add it tomorrow,
Everything looks nice and the cpu load is pretty low,

1st and 2nd screens are from AIMESH
3rd screen is from MERLIN

Also, I sent the feedback on AIMESH AP Mode, I hope it helps

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,477
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 624
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 418

David,

I’ll preface my reply by saying I’m not an expert by any means, but happy to throw in my 2 cents worth and equally happy to be corrected and enlightened by the more learned minds here, especially the ASUS reps such as Wilson_Cheng and arthurlien.

In THEORY your Config 1 should be the better of the two, but I say IN THEORY because the AIMesh firmware has only been out of beta for a couple of weeks, so Real World experience is lacking for all (most?) of us and there is hopefully still a lot of development to do as it matures and gains features back that are currently lacking.

Your Config 1 would be MUCH better if you could also run a cable from WAN port of your 2nd access point back to a LAN port on your 1st AP (or via switches etc depending on your network topology). This would give you wired backhaul for the AIMesh. If this is at all possible for your situation I would strongly suggest it.

So advantages of Config 1 are seamless roaming on single SSID (although some in this thread aren’t seeing the “handoff” for their setup or specific devices so possible caveats at this early stage), central management from Main Node (be that in Router or AP mode) and ability to use intelligently managed backhaul from multiple AIMesh APs. Note that I would still see using wireless backhaul on older devices such as AC68U’s as poorest option, but if that is all that is possible then probably still better than Config 2. Next best would wireless backhaul on a newer triband router model so that it can have a dedicated backhaul wireless channel, but expensive to upgrade for you. Best would be, as I said, wired backhaul to both AP’s.

Disadvantages of Config 1 are that AIMesh is new and stability and maturity are unknowns, no Guest Networks yet on slave Nodes (may not matter to many but is backward step for me - arthurlien has kindly stuck his neck out and said it is coming though), no individual management of slave nodes features such as Advanced Wireless, enabling SSH and so on, and no Merlin variants yet which means in your case it means having an extra box to get your 2 AIMesh AP’s.

I welcome anything in the way of education or correction to help us all and advance the discussion.

StephenH

Last edited:
Hope Merlin can add he's little tweeks to AiMesh...
Would Be Nice....

and yes you can telnet to all AiMesh nodes, just login and type "reboot"

Yes, would definitely be great if Merlin can/will Merlinise the AIMesh firmware, but I’m happy so far having main router (no wireless, currently “real” AC68U about to become AC86U) on Merlin and the 4 AIMesh AP’s (converted TM-AC1900’s) on stock, as I suspect the AIMesh firmware may change and evolve quite a bit over next year and Merlin would be just chasing his tail if he takes it on.

Thanks for confirming the Telnet to the Nodes, will try when I get home.

You seem to have a great deal of wireless spraying around the place! :)

I’d easily get away with 2 (maybe 3 to give good coverage in back garden) AP’s if the house didn’t have so much reinforced concrete in the construction which soaks it up mornthan more traditional constructions.

Also my philosophy is a little different. Entire house is Ethernet cabled and I try and keep as much as I can OFF wireless, whilst trying to achieve good coverage and then leaving the bandwidth just for those devices that need to be on Wifi because there is no viable alternative (either because of location or having no Ethernet port) which for me is phones, tablets, laptops when roaming, couple of IP cameras (which could be cabled but too hard) and scales in the bathroom. More will come over time Of course but my rule is always if it has an Ethernet port try to cable it.

But each to his own of course ... appreciate you giving different perspectives.

StephenH

Merlin has stated here that source code is not available to him. Maybe once beta is finished it will happen?

Yes have been following Merlin’s comments, and that he couldn’t even if he wanted to right now ... whatever he can or wants to do I’ll be grateful as he does a fantastic job of it and is a true giant of the scene, and indeed the reason many buy ASUS routers - including me.

StephenH

True, so maybe just On Topic by that definition, and certainly a potentially confusing trap for the unwary if you are about to put an 86U into the AIMesh mix whilst playing around, and it ends up by design or accidentally doing the DHCP.

StephenH
How about to use router.asus.com ?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Got it, Do you see some message in system log ? such as below,

Nov 24 23:49:23 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -64dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -71dbm)
Nov 24 23:49:23 roamast: eth5: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Nov 25 00:10:19 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -61dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -69dbm)
Nov 25 00:10:19 roamast: eth5: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]

any way to solve? i having simliar problem on my ac68U as node
main is using ac88u

Dec 2 09:57:32 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -81dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -87dbm)
Dec 2 09:57:32 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Dec 2 10:24:47 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -52dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -74dbm)
Dec 2 10:24:47 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Dec 2 10:30:27 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -36dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -77dbm)
Dec 2 10:30:27 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Dec 2 10:34:15 kernel: Register interface [wds1.1] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Dec 2 10:50:19 kernel: Register interface [wds1.1] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Dec 2 10:50:21 kernel: Register interface [wds0.1] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

this problem can't even stream on youtube causing me require to reset my network adapter to reset a default gateway....

any way to solve? i having simliar problem on my ac68U as node
main is using ac88u

Dec 2 09:57:32 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -81dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -87dbm)
Dec 2 09:57:32 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Dec 2 10:24:47 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -52dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -74dbm)
Dec 2 10:24:47 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Dec 2 10:30:27 roamast: discover candidate node [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -36dbm) for weak signal strength client [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX](rssi: -77dbm)
Dec 2 10:30:27 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX]
Dec 2 10:34:15 kernel: Register interface [wds1.1] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Dec 2 10:50:19 kernel: Register interface [wds1.1] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Dec 2 10:50:21 kernel: Register interface [wds0.1] MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

this problem can't even stream on youtube causing me require to reset my network adapter to reset a default gateway....
Could you send the feedback with diagnostic enabled and syslog, setting file? If yes, please reproduce the procedure again.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

I turned the QoS off and the cpu is 100% everytime that I try to use my full speed, actually everytime that I use 100mb the cpu goes to 100% and my speed is stucked on 1,5mb, I turned the IA protection OFF and nothing changed, probably is another problem, I am not having the NODE offline issue anymore, the two nodes are online and using cable option.

How can I get the AI log? I will attach some screens for you

Engineer is looking the issue as CPU 100% load now.

How about to use router.asus.com ?

Indeed yes arthurlien, I’m so used to old-school networking that I always forget about nice features such as this that ASUS gives us. :) Anyway, in this case not me who got tripped up!

Out of interest, do you know why ASUS changed the default router address/subnet we are all used to? Is 192.168.50.1 default for all new models now? Maybe not your team that makes these calls ...

StephenH

Last edited:
Indeed yes arthurlien, I’m so used to old-school networking and I always forget about nice features such as this that ASUS gives us. :) Anyway, in this case not me who got tripped up!

Out of interest, do you know why ASUS changed the default router address/subnet we are all used to? Is 192.168.50.1 default for all new models now? Maybe not your team that makes these calls ...

StephenH

I think it's a long story. I think there are too many 192.168.1.1 in this world... :)

I think it's a long story. I think there are too many 192.168.1.1 in this world... :)

Ok, then obviously it’s Secret ASUS Business and you can’t tell us, that’s OK, wouldn’t want you to break your confidentiality agreement! :)

But we were all USED to 192.168.1.1, we could type it in our sleep, now the whole foundations of our world have been shaken, or something like that ...

(Actually I came to using ASUS routers a few years ago after MANY years of using Billion brand, so out of habit I still always still make my router IP/ gateway 192.168.1.254, so I am already a heretic around here).

StephenH

arthurlien, now that dirtyclyde has determined seemingly that enabling Telnet on AIMesh Main Router/AP also enables it on AIMesh Nodes, can you comment on this? Will same apply to SSH for Nodes? If not now win future? Or are there any bigger plans you can talk about? (And I understand you may not be able to).

StephenH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!