What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With AiMesh, you don't need to separately manage your router + Repeater - they're centrally managed. It can also more easily accommodate multiple devices.
So would it be beneficial to use airmesh if you only have 2 routers in your system (the AP and the repeater?) Also does it automatically handle handoff or do you still need to set the minimum threshold on each router to something to automatically hand off if the SNR gets to bad? Granted my routers are an AC66 and AC68 so I may never see aimesh on the 66 and may possibly one day see it on the 68 :p

So would it be beneficial to use airmesh if you only have 2 routers in your system (the AP and the repeater?)

If what you quoted applies to you, then yes.

Also does it automatically handle handoff or do you still need to set the minimum threshold on each router to something to automatically hand off if the SNR gets to bad?

No idea what other enhancement are included, arthurlien would be better placed to answer that (I didn't try AiMesh).

So would it be beneficial to use airmesh if you only have 2 routers in your system (the AP and the repeater?) Also does it automatically handle handoff or do you still need to set the minimum threshold on each router to something to automatically hand off if the SNR gets to bad? Granted my routers are an AC66 and AC68 so I may never see aimesh on the 66 and may possibly one day see it on the 68 :p
From my understanding:
Multi AP - disconnect and then reconnect to new AP, the connect is droped
Mesh - seamless handoff/fast handoff/ zero handoff, device move between different AP without disconnect, but there are some delay which may be notice when using voip

My experience on AImesh I didn't get disconnect when move between ap, but dunno what method it is using, I hope it is a combine of 802.11r/v/k

All,

Been testing AiMesh with an AC-5300 set as router and a TM-1900/AC-68U set as mesh. It is solid so far and exceeded my expectations. Everything worked beautifully. The set-up was so simple and the results outstanding.

Great job to the ASUSTek guys! I am glad to be a loyal customer.

Hi Wilson,

Is it possible to hshare RT-AC3200 Beta release, too for AIMESH testing. I already installed beta release on my 68U and would like to install it on my RT-AC3200, too for testing.

Many thanks

Hi Everyone,

Update 11/17

2017/11/17 release AiMesh beta for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300

Please download from here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w4v_rEB3d7PIxWk3Gwofdke6dvuZOGa9?usp=sharing

Change log:
1. Fix Bug: RE offline automatically issue.
2. Fix Bug : Use wrong re_path value in RT-AC88U.
3. KRACK patch
4. Refine AiMesh Router search in AP Mode.
5. Refine config sync as triband and dualband connectivity case.
6. Improve performance with AiMesh enabled in RT-AC86U
7. Refine config sync for smart connect in RT-AC86U
8. Refine UI for f/w upgrade and some remind message.
9. Improved stability in AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node connectivity.
10. Refine diagnostic report issue in Feedback.

Notes:
- Tri-band models are now in early beta stage.
- For tri-band model work with dual band model, we recommend to setup dual band model to be AiMesh router(primary) and triband model to be secondary.

Update 11/13

Now we launch the AiMesh official site here:
https://www.asus.com/aimesh/
And all new beta version will be released in this web site.

For TM-AC1900, here are our statement:
TM-AC1900 is T-Mobile certificated product and with different license with ASUS open channel model.
ASUS will not provide any official firmware for TM-AC1900.
Be noted, once TM-AC1900 is flashed to firmware other than T-Mobile certificated firmware, the warranty is expired immediately.

Thanks.

Update 10/12
New version update fro RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC88U Ver:18000-g9564ee7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByEpTc0fDkeqZGQ2SldEakk3TDg

- Update QIS flow
- add DWDS support
- GUI issue fixes
- add RE manual firmware update, could use direct ip link to update RE firmware manually

Update
(09/22) New beta available today for RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U
- Improve system stability
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByEpTc0fDkeqZ21wbTFCeVZoa2M

(09/15) New beta available today for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqZUR0dGtSR1o0OE0?usp=sharing

And now we make it a official name as AiMesh.

Here are changelogs

For RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U

1. UI
- Change AMAS to AiMesh.
- Change alogorithm for onboarding progress % count.
- Add reset modem page into QIS.
- Add some hint for user when DHCP Server and wireless authentication type changed.
- www: change the position of separating the ssid of wireless bands checkbox.~~~~~
- www: accroding to QIS 3.0 SPEC, divide WAN selection into 2 steps.
- [Update][AiMesh] www : Modify AiMesh naming.
- AiMesh system.
- Cap : AiMesh router.
- Slave : AiMesh node.
2. Enabled Roaming Feature at default setting.
3. New Sync Configuration
- Telnet
- SSH
- Roaming assistant
- Smart Connect
- MAC Filter
- Syslog
4. Auto reset default when onboarding failure.
5. Add renew ip mechanism in RE mode. [Bug#244]
6. Fixed an issue as RE can be onboarded after user login by IPAddress/index.asp.
7. RE can't be search after on-boarding failure by CAP.
8. Other miner bugs fix.

For RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U
First beta release.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Wilson from ASUSTek, product manager of ASUS networking, and today we are happy to invite all ASUS router users to do AMAS beta test.

AMAS (Temporarily name) is ASUS Multiple Access-Point System, the core feature is to combine ASUS powerful routers to form a whole home coverage WiFi system with centralized control.

By ASUS internal tests, we found single ASUS performance router could provide extreme WiFi coverage for almost every standard house in north America. However, there might still some dead-zones in specific environment(e.g. concrete wall or large yard), so we design a powerful software upgrade for ASUS router buyers, by software upgrading, you can combine more than one ASUS performance routers to form a WiFi system.

When applying AMAS, don’t worry about losing any fancy and advanced features, such as AiProtection, Adaptive QoS…etc. all features will be supported, just the way you are!
Hi

I have couple of questions for arthuerlien / WilSon-Deng

First of THANK YOU! , I had 2 Asus AC68U (albeit converted TM AC1900 units flashed with the AIMESH FW) and working after doing the CFE fix by googles (THANK YOU!!).

1. Can you elaborate (this was asked before but no reply was given) how exactly is the backhaul configured ? is it a specific channel on 5 G or 2G?

2. I read few pages back, sometimes a Node shows offline, but it still is online and working , arthurlien said its a bug? Along the lines, I want to know how, we as end user can confirm if a client is connected to the Node instead of the Main router? I have a setup where the range over laps meaning I will get both signals and its confusing.

Also, further on #2, if the Node shows offline in the Main router, how can we verify its online? If my Main Asus AIMESH router is 192.168.1.1 and Node #1 is 192.168.1.166, will clients connected to Node 1 will have IP on the range 192.168.1.16X range? or its not like that?

I would like to request, if possible to have more advanced settings to manage multiple Nodes in the Aimesh setup, and ALSO MOST importantly if we can view within router.asus.com , by clicking on a Node , what DHCP clients are connected since all will be on the same subnet, based on IP its hard to tell.

3. Are all DHCP clients across all nodes listed in CLIENTS list in the main router?

4. How does this AIMESH compare to Netgear Orbi system AC2200 and AC3000, which is also using dedicated backhaul, but I believe its not a true MESH system.

Again, I want to say thank YOU for all the efforts Asus and your team is doing this for us end users.

Hello Arthur / Wilson, any comment on my queries above on Nov 28?

thank you.

Hi Wilson,

Is it possible to hshare RT-AC3200 Beta release, too for AIMESH testing. I already installed beta release on my 68U and would like to install it on my RT-AC3200, too for testing.

Many thanks

Hi

Sorry, The AiMesh will not support RT-AC3200.

thank you.

thank you.

For Q1 : WiFi (2G and 5G concurrently) or Ethernet.
For Q2 : The issue is communication error between AiMesh Router and Node. But the data path still work.
For Q3 : This Feature is under planning. We need to focus on stability in current stage.

All,

Been testing AiMesh with an AC-5300 set as router and a TM-1900/AC-68U set as mesh. It is solid so far and exceeded my expectations. Everything worked beautifully. The set-up was so simple and the results outstanding.

Is the Alexa/IFTTT feature working on AC-5300?

hi all,

I have two routers (RT-AC88U and RT-AC68U) and planning to have mesh network in place. 88 will be main router and 68 AP as node. Recently I updated 68U firmware to 9.0.0.4_382_18489 but saw latest FW released. If I update 88U will latest one, will it work w/o issue? Or it is better to update both with latest beta FW?

I finally got my setup running. I have an AC68U as my main router and two TM-1900's that have been converted as nodes. I do have 1 more TM-1900 I will probably convert and I plan on grabbing at least one more AC68U to add into the mix. I do have the issue where the routers show offline but appear to still be passing traffic. If there's any specific testing or logs I can provide please let me know.

I finally got my setup running. I have an AC68U as my main router and two TM-1900's that have been converted as nodes. I do have 1 more TM-1900 I will probably convert and I plan on grabbing at least one more AC68U to add into the mix. I do have the issue where the routers show offline but appear to still be passing traffic. If there's any specific testing or logs I can provide please let me know.
It's known issue. Thanks.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Really hoping the next release works some miracles on the GT-AC5300. Just picked up another one as before I was considering scrapping and going another direction until I saw this fw come out. Hardware specs are great...just hoping we get the fw to go with it.

All,

Hi Cipherbreak,

I have both the AC-5300 and AC-68U similar to your configuration. After reading your post, I pluck up enough courage to set up AiMesh using AC-5300 as the AiMesh Router and AC-68U as the AiMesh Node. It is working well for now. Just want to say Thank you both to you and the ASUS team :)

I am an even happier ASUS user with this AiMesh technology now.

The following are some issues I faced and how I got over them:

I manually update both routers to the current AiMesh Firmware, and followed the instructions in the PDF line by line. However, initially AiMesh Router (AC-5300 without factory reset/restore) cannot find the AiMesh Node (AC-68U with factory reset/restore). I finally decided to do a factory reset/restore my AiMesh Router (AC-5300) ... and complete the basis configuration as prompted ... it found the AiMesh Node (AC-68U) very quickly.

My AiMesh Node in the Bedroom is 2 bedrooms away (3 walls) from my AiMesh Router, I have a pair of Sineoji 1800 mpbs Home Plug AV2 Mimo PT to provide ethernet connection between them. Initially the Backhaul connection was set to AUTO (default), I found that the roaming was somehow not so smooth. So I decided to set "Ethernet" as my preferred Backhaul connection between AiMesh Router to Node; now roaming is seamless as far as I can tell from a lay person's point of view.

It's known issue and will improved stability next release.

Arthur. I sent an email to router_feedback@asus.com with a syslog of my AiMesh Main router. Hopefully it can provide some good information. I've changed the MAC addresses in the log to show the type of device for the MAC and I've also changed any IPs to show the device as well. I'm still just testing with the 2 - AC68U devices.

I wasn't using the Asus Router android app before so I wasn't aware it had an entire AiMesh section. Now I can see that my devices are not moving back and forth between the 2 nodes as they should, even when a device is directly in front of the node unit. Any suggestions on how to force device movement between main and the node?

Also, the time on the device keeps changing for no apparent reason. You'll see this in the log too. It is set with the correct time zone and configured for pool.ntp.org.

Arthur. I sent an email to router_feedback@asus.com with a syslog of my AiMesh Main router. Hopefully it can provide some good information. I've changed the MAC addresses in the log to show the type of device for the MAC and I've also changed any IPs to show the device as well. I'm still just testing with the 2 - AC68U devices.

I wasn't using the Asus Router android app before so I wasn't aware it had an entire AiMesh section. Now I can see that my devices are not moving back and forth between the 2 nodes as they should, even when a device is directly in front of the node unit. Any suggestions on how to force device movement between main and the node?

Also, the time on the device keeps changing for no apparent reason. You'll see this in the log too. It is set with the correct time zone and configured for pool.ntp.org.

Received and i will discuss internal. thanks for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!