What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. You are right, I didn't install the correct firmware. I am waiting for merlin to update his to the AC68U since I use OpenVPN and the stock asus doesn't support apparently. Got my TM-1900 today and was able to flash it to an ac68 in about 10 minutes!

Glad we got THAT cleared up. Enjoy the playing around.
I keep my main router on Merlin and the AIMesh units all separate as AP's so I can keep my OpenVPN.

StephenH

Hi all, just purchased 2 x AC88U and would like to know if following setup will work with AiMesh:
Cisco firewall connected to swith
Asus#1 in AP mode and connected to the switch from LAN 1 on Asus
Asus#2 in AP mode and connected to the switch from LAN 1 on Asus

I really dont want to have a second NAT behind my Cisco and I want both AC88U´s in AP mode connected to the same main switch in the building.

Will this work?
Thanks for any feedback!

I am on the latest official on the TM-1900 router (flashed to AC68 CFE) and it doesnt show openvpn, just l2tp...
AiMesh firmware definitely has it in the VPN Client section, not sure about regular stock firmware(most likely does but I'm not using it)

upload_2017-12-8_22-2-27.png

Download and flash the AiMesh firmware from here: https://www.asus.com/aimesh/

Hi all, just purchased 2 x AC88U and would like to know if following setup will work with AiMesh:
Cisco firewall connected to swith
Asus#1 in AP mode and connected to the switch from LAN 1 on Asus
Asus#2 in AP mode and connected to the switch from LAN 1 on Asus

I really dont want to have a second NAT behind my Cisco and I want both AC88U´s in AP mode connected to the same main switch in the building.

Will this work?
Thanks for any feedback!

Yes it will work fine but the "slave" AP(s) must connect via the WAN port, whereas the "master" AIMesh will connect OK via any of its ports, either LAN or WAN, if its in AP mode.

StephenH

Last edited:
I am on the latest official on the TM-1900 router (flashed to AC68 CFE) and it doesnt show openvpn, just l2tp...

I've been using OpenVPN on stock for over 12 months. I still have the option but latest AiMesh now has IPsec so I'm using that now.

Yes it will work fine but the "slave" AP(s) must connect via the WAN port, whereas the "master" AIMesh will connect OK via any of its ports, either LAN or WAN, if its in AP mode.

StephenH

Hi Stephen, thx for the prompt reply.
So I can start by setting both roters in AP mode and setting fixed IP`s?
Then use the Mesh to find the slave? There is no nees to factory reset the slave after finding and connecting it to the master?

I have an RT-AC68U already converted to an AiMesh node but now I want to flash it with either an Asus or Merlin firmware.
Can someone please help guide me?
Thanks in advance.

I have an RT-AC68U already converted to an AiMesh node but now I want to flash it with either an Asus or Merlin firmware.
Can someone please help guide me?
Thanks in advance.
I would suspect the same process - flash to factory default and then upload and install the new firmware. Were you the one that flashed the AC68U with the AiMesh firmware?

I did an update using the FW from the google drive folder and the Nodes are back online / wired

Looks everything okay, but sometimes I see that the cellphone is switching from one node to another node and the connection drops a little bit , I think this is normal and we have discussed this right here and we are all waiting for a new FW

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 641
I would suspect the same process - flash to factory default and then upload and install the new firmware. Were you the one that flashed the AC68U with the AiMesh firmware?
I was but now I no longer have the AiMesh router and I can't access the web gui on the node.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was but now I no longer have the AiMesh router and I can't access the web gui on the node.
Thanks.

Have you tried doing a Factory Reset (hold down Reset button for more than 5 seconds and then let go and let it reboot)? You should then be able to log onto the web interface at 192.168.1.1 or router.asus.com.

StephenH

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try them later and let you know.
Thanks again.

Thanks.

This may be more extreme than needed and I'm not sure if it'll work, but

Try the 30-30-30 reset, usually works with just about any home router:

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its reset button for 30 seconds

2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds

3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state.

Hi Stephen, thx for the prompt reply.
So I can start by setting both roters in AP mode and setting fixed IP`s?
Then use the Mesh to find the slave? There is no nees to factory reset the slave after finding and connecting it to the master?

Just follow the AIMesh Setup Guide ... only difference is that your “AIMesh Router” as they call it, will actually be in AP mode, grabbing an address off your Cisco main router (where you could set up DHCP reservations for your AIMesh units so they get the addresses you want). Key points seem to be the factory resets all round before starting, and that the Node finding/acquiring needs to be done in Wireless mode with all units in close proximity. Then and ONLY then start hooking up the wired backhaul and so on ...

StephenH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!