What's new

[Official] RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9177

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok I just flashed my two RT-AC87R units. One is in media bridge mode (5GHz connection) and the other is the primary router.

So far so good. Only been running for an hour. I like the new pullout device list (not sure when this was added). I've got 6 devices wired in (it counts the devices connected via bridge as wired), 10 on 2.4Ghz and 2-3 on 5GHz.

No weird errors filling the log or anything, although one new one I hadn't seen before but it looks unimportant:

mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong

I'll report back over the weekend on how things move along. For people's information, when I setup my router I use only defaults. I do not turn on any of the features (AiProtection, QoS, Traffic Analyzer, AiCloud). I only go through initial setup, set the admin password, and set distinct ISIDs/passwords for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Would you elaborate please? I'm on 5134 and am thinking about making the jump. Mostly an Apple household and have a number of devices running 9.0.1 - 9.0.2
It's discussed further up this thread. Specifically the iPad Air 2 on IOS9, 9.0.1, 9.0.2 does not stay connected to 5Ghz duirng sleep. It continually connects and disconnects on 3 minute (approx) cycles, unless it switches to 2.4Ghz at some point, when it will stay connected. This only seems to be an Air 2 issue. Clearly there is something different that Apple are doing here and there is a thought that a fix from Apple is needed. This probably depends on whether other routers/APs have a similar problem or if it is just this one. Personally, I looked for other reports of problems and could not find them, but someone else here said the Air 2 did behave the same elsewhere, even with an iPhone hotspot, so maybe an Apple fix is needed. Either way, it's not a huge deal. It just means the iPad may not always be there eg. to receive phone calls from an iPhone on the same network and it is probably wasting battery, but it's not a disaster. I am very happy with 9177 regardless. Anyway, it is not only this version of firmware that is affected. Merlin .54 and .55 were too, so there is no real avoiding it at the moment.

2 Days on this firmware with all beamforming enabled on 2.4 and 5ghz and I have a selection of Intel laptops and iDevices (not Air 2!) that have been connected for 28 to 34 hours, so I think I can say this is working nicely :).

It's discussed further up this thread. Specifically the iPad Air 2 on IOS9, 9.0.1, 9.0.2 does not stay connected to 5Ghz duirng sleep. It continually connects and disconnects on 3 minute (approx) cycles, unless it switches to 2.4Ghz at some point, when it will stay connected. This only seems to be an Air 2 issue. Clearly there is something different that Apple are doing here and there is a thought that a fix from Apple is needed. This probably depends on whether other routers/APs have a similar problem or if it is just this one. Personally, I looked for other reports of problems and could not find them, but someone else here said the Air 2 did behave the same elsewhere, even with an iPhone hotspot, so maybe an Apple fix is needed. Either way, it's not a huge deal. It just means the iPad may not always be there eg. to receive phone calls from an iPhone on the same network and it is probably wasting battery, but it's not a disaster. I am very happy with 9177 regardless. Anyway, it is not only this version of firmware that is affected. Merlin .54 and .55 were too, so there is no real avoiding it at the moment.

Ah yes, I missed that. I think that I read that and filed it away with Android battery drain. Hmmm. Unfortunate that it's now iOS also.

2 Days on this firmware with all beamforming enabled on 2.4 and 5ghz and I have a selection of Intel laptops and iDevices (not Air 2!) that have been connected for 28 to 34 hours, so I think I can say this is working nicely :).

Are your SSID's the same for 2.4 and 5?

Ok I just flashed my two RT-AC87R units. One is in media bridge mode (5GHz connection) and the other is the primary router.

So far so good. Only been running for an hour. I like the new pullout device list (not sure when this was added). I've got 6 devices wired in (it counts the devices connected via bridge as wired), 10 on 2.4Ghz and 2-3 on 5GHz.

No weird errors filling the log or anything, although one new one I hadn't seen before but it looks unimportant:

mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong

I'll report back over the weekend on how things move along. For people's information, when I setup my router I use only defaults. I do not turn on any of the features (AiProtection, QoS, Traffic Analyzer, AiCloud). I only go through initial setup, set the admin password, and set distinct ISIDs/passwords for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
I was getting the same error and found that my wired printer was the cause of the problem. I shut the printer off and turned back on and the errors stopped.

I was getting the same error and found that my wired printer was the cause of the problem. I shut the printer off and turned back on and the errors stopped.
Thanks for the info! I have a wired printer so I will try rebooting it today.

Update from installation to 9177 from 4950 last night:

1. Nothing lost access to the network, although many of my clients moved over to 2.4Ghz from 5Ghz during the night. This has always happened and I think is more of a signal strength issue than anything else.
2. I have an android cell phone, so I kept it connected to 5Ghz while I slept. When I went to bed at about 11pm it was at 100%. It was dead this morning at 9am. Holy batman! This android battery drain is no joke! I have swapped it over to 2.4Ghz and will repeat the test tonight.

Thanks for the info! I have a wired printer so I will try rebooting it today.

Update from installation to 9177 from 4950 last night:

1. Nothing lost access to the network, although many of my clients moved over to 2.4Ghz from 5Ghz during the night. This has always happened and I think is more of a signal strength issue than anything else.
2. I have an android cell phone, so I kept it connected to 5Ghz while I slept. When I went to bed at about 11pm it was at 100%. It was dead this morning at 9am. Holy batman! This android battery drain is no joke! I have swapped it over to 2.4Ghz and will repeat the test tonight.
Yes, we already told that 5Ghz still has the battery drain issue with Android devices. So keep it on 2.4G unless you need more throughput.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

A few days in and I'm really liking this firmware. It feels like a whole new router to me. Much more stable 5ghz, beamforming, really like the network traffic features as well.

A few days in and I'm really liking this firmware. It feels like a whole new router to me. Much more stable 5ghz, beamforming, really like the network traffic features as well.
Same here

I too have this problem with my ASUS AC87U router and my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s Plus now on the 5ghz band.

I too have this problem with my ASUS AC87U router and my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s Plus now on the 5ghz band.

Breaking my heart, between connectivity with my HP printer and a heavily laden Apple product family, I might just stick with 5134 until these get ironed out.

No hostname for router?

I just upgraded from Merlins 378.54_2 to this version (.9177).
I did the "Restore Factory Default" in the Webui after the flash. Reconfigured settings etc.
The upgrade went fine, but I cant seem to set the routers hostname. I must be missing something...

For example, using samba, I can mount a shared drive by using \\192.168.1.1\sda5 but do not see the RT-87u in Windows network map.

Also, when I log in via ssh, the prompt shows:
admin@(none):/

The reason I would like to get a valid hostname is that I installed Download master to get ipkg. I then used ipkg to install sendmail.

I can send mail, but there is a long delay as sendmail attempts to resolve host and domain names.

Any ideas?

Hello, I upgraded to the this new version and so far everything is stable for both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ but now I see the following entries in the log file:

Oct 4 07:02:04 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct 4 07:16:45 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct 4 07:24:30 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct 4 07:39:25 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct 4 07:54:10 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong

A Google search shows these are related to an Apple Bonjour error. I do have a media server attached but the iTunes server option is disabled so not sure why I am seeing these. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Media server.jpg
    Media server.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 497
Hello, I upgraded to the this new version and so far everything is stable for both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ but now I see the following entries in the log file:

A Google search shows these are related to an Apple Bonjour error. I do have a media server attached but the iTunes server option is disabled so not sure why I am seeing these. Thoughts?

We are all seeing this error in Syslog with the new firmware, it is related to Apple Bonjour. In my case I could only get the errors to stop by disabling the bonjour service in my HP printers but then that disables AirPrint. Asus are aware of it and have said they will disable the messages in upcoming firmware releases.

I got the errors to stop by disabling the Bonjour service in my PC and by disabling AirDrop on all of my Apple devices.

We are all seeing this error in Syslog with the new firmware, it is related to Apple Bonjour. In my case I could only get the errors to stop by disabling the bonjour service in my HP printers but then that disables AirPrint. Asus are aware of it and have said they will disable the messages in upcoming firmware releases.
Thanks for the reply. I have the bonjour service disabled on my pc and I do not any other Apple products on my network. I will ignore the messages for now and wait for Asus to remove in later firmware releases.

Hello, guys

My Traffic Analyzer stopped working after a restart of the router. Any ideas?
No data at all :(
Снимок.PNG

for all with mDNSNetMonitor
mDNSNetMonitor is Apple's Bonjour.
Router received unidentified packets from client, no other effects.
Will hide the messages later.

It's ok, it's going to be hiden in next release

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!