What's new

[Official] RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know that...
So let us be glad that us under pressure from the community launched a program of development of their routers in this forum .

But do not forget that it is the customer through its decisions determines the popularity of the brand. Manufacturer to be a TOP must be aware , and well seen in the example of Asus .

And happy new year ;)

Last edited:
I experienced a very strange problem with this Official ASUS Firmware Release (3.0.0.4.378_9460 downloaded on 12/28) when I updated my RT-AC87U. The problem was observed on two of my three Windows 10 home computers (one wired & one wireless 5GHz connections); I didn’t try the third computer that is on a 2.4GHz connection. When I launched Windows 10 File Explorer and clicked on Network; each computer intermittently showed my two Western Digital NAS Drives (1TB MyBookLives); each drive would vanish and reappear a few times and then disappear, never to return. Both drives are on wired connections directly to the router, not through a switch. And, it wasn’t just observed with File Explorer; my Western Digital Backup Software (WD SmartWare) intermittently saw both drives and then stopped showing them. I didn’t observe this issue with the previous Official ASUS Firmware Release (3.0.0.4.378_9383).

I guess there could have been a problem introduced when the firmware was flashed, but I’ve never experienced a problem flashing firmware on this router and I’ve owned it for almost a year. I didn’t attempt to re-flash the firmware or go back to 9383, instead after 24 hours on this firmware I flashed Merlin’s Firmware Version 378.57 and everything works normally.

My process is the same for every firmware upgrade that I perform. The first thing I do is use the router’s reset button to reset to factory defaults and perform the initial setup, then I flash a new firmware version, then I use the router’s reset button to reset to factory defaults and proceed to perform my complete configuration of the router (a few changes to default settings and setup static IP’s for all of my devices). I use a setup sheet that I developed, so each setup is the same. My router is only used to host six wired (three direct to the router and three through a Netgear 4-Port Switch, all using Cat-6 cables) and 19 wireless devices (a combination of 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections) and except for turning off WPS, DLNA, SAMBA Share, and disabling 3G/4G USB Modem I use the default settings.

Update: I saw this posted on the Microsoft Windows 10 Community today. Since this update was installed on our computers right before I flashed the 9460 firmware on my RT-AC87U, I wonder if the Flash Player update was the real culprit? Based on the responses on the Community it is causing problems with a number of applications that I wouldn't have thought the update would impact. However, if the update did cause my problem, it is also a mystery as to why flashing different firmware to the router fixed my problem!?!?!?!?!?

On Dec 28th, 2015 Adobe released a security update for Adobe Flash Player to address what they describe as “critical vulnerabilities” that allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Microsoft released security advisory 2755801 and security update KB3132372 to make the updated Adobe Flash Player available to all users.

Last edited:
Good joke for brand new router
49rotfl.gif

This router is almost 1.5 years old.

And from beginning never works OK. Now fom long time bad working WIFI 5GHz. Waiting for new driver more than two month. Maybe three month... It is too long...

well, for what it's worth after trying just about every FW available I decided to give this a go and I have to say that for the first time since I've had the router it has been consistently stable and with decent range.....I was experiencing erratic Wi-Fi on both bands for so long that I have been seriously considering getting rid of it and moving on to something else however now my network is stable....mind you it's only been a few days but so far I see no reason to try another alternative FW....btw, I have a very simple setup here with a laptop, desktop, Roku, fire stick, iPhone, and ipad....all have been connected since day one...just my .02

Yep, my uptime is 7 days 11 hours and it's been stable all through that time. Also, since upgrading to Android 6 / Marshmallow, my Moto X 2014 has been holding a charge for multiple *days* now which is fairly incredible for this phone. I don't know whether the 9460 firmware contributed to the increase in battery life at all, but I'm pretty happy with 9460 overall.

My 2015 Macbook Pro still needs a wifi reset from time to time coming out of sleep, but all other clients are speedy and work fine.

And I'm on 9.0.0.4 (dev), not 3.0.0.4 (prod), but as the build number is identical I assume they are the same.

We are waiting for new SDK to radio 5GHz but how long we can wait? It is durinng about 4 month.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G920F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Not sure why, as I assume that there was no wifi driver updates in this version and my wifi has been perfect since the newest wifi driver was released, but for the last week since I've had this version on, my 5Ghz has taken a serious nose dive! Seems to have gone back to the old issue of taking forever to load things where as the 2.4Ghz is way way more responsive! Even loading these forum topics via Tapatalk takes much longer than it should.

My wife wanted to update her Apple Watch yesterday. On 2.4Ghz the time estimated time was 8 minutes. On 5Ghz it was 23 hours. What??

I didn't need to do a factory reset when coming from 3.0.0.4.378.9383 did I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i bought netgear x8 and everything worked perfectly fine! tried to use 87u as an access point but even worst! 5g is way way slower! 87u ruined asus brandname. at least for me

Not sure why, as I assume that there was no wifi driver updates in this version and my wifi has been perfect since the newest wifi driver was released, but for the last week since I've had this version on, my 5Ghz has taken a serious nose dive! Seems to have gone back to the old issue of taking forever to load things where as the 2.4Ghz is way way more responsive! Even loading these forum topics via Tapatalk takes much longer than it should.

My wife wanted to update her Apple Watch yesterday. On 2.4Ghz the time estimated time was 8 minutes. On 5Ghz it was 23 hours. What??

I didn't need to do a factory reset when coming from 3.0.0.4.378.9383 did I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't waste your time! i tried every freaking firmware since i bought this router then never works correctly! buy different one and forget about this piece of sh..i.e...t!!!

ps: only had it for 4 months and wasted 280$

With this version I was able to get 18 days then it locked up, no dhcp addresses ,

I was doing ok with this FW for three days then it became unstable. I think I have tried just about every version of software available....when it works it's a champ. but too often it doesn't work reliably. I'm tired of the uncertainty and am going to get rid of it and get something else. my needs are not that great so I will probably go back to what many consider the sweet spot, ac1900 series

Hello everyone.

I've been on firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9460 for: Uptime 17 days 19 hours 44 minute(s) 22 seconds so far and I have to say it is the most stable firmware for me so far on my two ASUS RT-AC87U's. One running in Wireless router mode and the second in Access Point(AP) mode. I have the Adaptive QOS enabled, Traffic Analyzer, and all the Network Protection stuff enabled. Priority mode is set to Game. Everything is working great and I've had no issues. The battery on my Android Galaxy S6 when on 5GHz is lasting much longer now seems to be averaging using 4% battery per hour depending on what I'm doing. Much better than with earlier versions where my battery would be completely drained in about 4-6 hours.

Speeds are still fine and there have been no disconnects that I've noticed. IP TV still running well on my Apple TV and Shaw Free Range app on my phone.

My System log is clean for the most part but I see these entries sometimes:

Jan 15 21:22:40 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:23:40 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:24:10 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:26:10 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:26:40 alert mail: AiProtection send mail

Infected Devices prevention and blocking is enabled but it's not configured to email an alert.

and this:

Jan 7 07:35:39 miniupnpd[713]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 7 07:37:40 miniupnpd[713]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 7 07:38:39 miniupnpd[713]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer

Not sure what this is.

and this:

Jan 4 02:21:37 miniupnpd[713]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.11.118:1030
Jan 4 02:21:37 miniupnpd[713]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.11.118:1030

This IP is associated with my Samsung CLX-3175 printer. Not sure what is happening here as I don't use the printer often so it was idle at this time.

Thanks Asus!

Hi.

32 days? That's interesting. Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460 was released on 2015/12/29 so at most you could have is 21 days. What firmware version are you running?

32 days on any firmware up to this point is pretty good though....

.9313 I was using it since the beta had multicast issues and the latest version fixed that but I'm holding out for the Battery drain firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!