What's new

Old AC66u, first time connecting to AC, is IPv6 needed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJ1200

Occasional Visitor
We upgraded the Intel N-6230 card to their AC-7260 card. In the "Network and Sharing Center" the connection "Speed" rises to 390Mbps, sometimes lower, sometimes higher. The old card never went above 260Mbps. We are trying to only use 5Ghz cus the router is very close to our work area.

However, at speedtest.net our connection speed has now dropped from always being at 60-65Mbps to only 30Mbps. One thing I noticed in the card setting, you can only select "Auto" or "20Mhz" for 5Ghz. I though AC was supposed to be set at 80Mhz.

Drivers Used:
Windows 7 (64)
ProSet v18.21.0 released 11-9-2015
Also tried ProSet v18.20.0 release 9-9-2015

RT-AC66U settings:
Using latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.378.9313.
We have IPv6 Disabled on our router.
5Ghz Settings:
Wireless Mode - Auto
Channel Bandwidth is: 20/40/80 Mhz
Control Channel - 153 (best from using SSider)

Test closer to the router to determine if it's a distance issue. Also, I would forget and reconfigure the wireless profile on the computer, to ensure it doesn't reuse stale parameters from the previous NIC.

Hmmmm....stale parameters. I did uninstall the old NIC via Device Manager and then used Revo Uninstaller to remove the old ProSet wireless stuff, including their registry junk. So the new card and drivers should be about as clean as it gets.

One thing I noticed, not a single mention of AC anywhere in the Advanced NIC settings. Not even a choice for "n" network. I've spent hours reading and many say NIC has a 40 and 80 Mhz dropdown for channel width in 5ghz.

I even tracked down the hardware ID of the NIC to confirm it is in fact the AC-7260 card, not the "n" version.

Hmmmm....stale parameters. I did uninstall the old NIC via Device Manager and then used Revo Uninstaller to remove the old ProSet wireless stuff, including their registry junk. So the new card and drivers should be about as clean as it gets.

The wireless profile is part of Windows, not the NIC drivers. You must tell Windows to forget your network in the list of known Wireless SSIDs, and reconfigure it.

One thing I noticed, not a single mention of AC anywhere in the Advanced NIC settings. Not even a choice for "n" network. I've spent hours reading and many say NIC has a 40 and 80 Mhz dropdown for channel width in 5ghz.

That's normal. There's no visible 802.11ac-related settings there. Just make sure you do connect to the 5 GHz band.

OMG....It's RMerlin.

I've been reading your stuff for years. Configured sisters, Mom's, neighbors, and my house based on your shared knowledge. My inept Sis has been trouble free for nearly 2 years with her AC66U, ROKU, Onkyo stuff. Thank you so much for all you DO!

"Windows list of SSID's"
- Do you mean Open Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Profiles, then delete the profiles and start over by adding them again?

"Windows list of SSID's" - Do you mean Open Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Profiles, then delete the profiles and start over by adding them again?

Probably - I can't check the exact location as my mobile devices are all on Win 10 here.

Did OP uninstall the old intel drivers before dropping in the AC card?

Well I guess everything is OK now. Network connection speeds to the laptop range from 400-500 Mbps. I purchased a newer Moto modem (SB6183) which made no difference in the actual internet speed (55-60Mbps).

I'm still a bit dumbfounded that Intel NIC drivers/settings have ZERO mention of anything "AC", in any setting. They don't even offer 40 or 80Mhz dropdown choices. I do have WMM turned off in the AC66U. The network connection speed dropped dramatically when this was enabled under 5ghz.

Thanks everyone. All is good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!