What's new

Old and new routers, which to use as main router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PartisanEntity

Occasional Visitor
So I have an ancient RT-N66U which is going to be replaced by an RT-AC86U.

I would like to use one of these as my main router (connected to my cable modem) and the other as a wired AP on the upper floor to extend the network.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that the new RT-AC86U should become my new main router and be connected to my cable modem, and the old RT-N66U can be used a wired AP? (Eventually I plan to retire the N66U and replace it with something newer).

Your post is probably better posted in the ASUS forum. I would buy a wireless AP for your second wireless in stead of another router. It will be a lot cheaper. You could buy a wireless AP now and when you decide to replace your router then decide. You might like running separates and buy a wired only router by then.

The 86U should be the router, as it has a massively stronger CPU and wired architecture to run all gateway-related network services and process traffic.

Factory reset both units, flash with the latest proven-stable Merlin version for each, then factory reset again, then configure each from scratch, the 86U as the router, the 66U in "AP Mode" (all services effectively turned off).