What's new

old router as switch to share printers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noah way

Regular Contributor
I'd like to set up multiple network printers on a single cat5 cable. I have an old Netgear WNR 1500 router that I think could function as a switch of sorts but I can't figure out how to set this up.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you -

1. Disable its WAN.
2. Disable its DHCP server.
3. Disable its wireless AP(s) (unless you want it to continue acting as an AP as well).
4. Assign it a LAN ip in the same range as the rest of your network.
5. Assign it the same default gateway as used by the rest of your local network (usually the primary router's LAN ip).
6. Assign it the same DNS server as used by the rest of your local network (usually the primary router's LAN ip).

I'm NOT familiar w/ that specific router. But it's possible (although improbable) the router might be able of configuring its LAN side via DHCP, eliminating the need to manually configure 4, 5, and 6. But in my experience, once you disable the WAN (which does use DHCP), you're more typically forced to configure the LAN side manually.

I'd like to set up multiple network printers on a single cat5 cable. I have an old Netgear WNR 1500 router that I think could function as a switch of sorts but I can't figure out how to set this up.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you -
It only supports 10/100mb. Buy a switch. 1gb switch is only for $10 to 20$ bucks. It's so cheap.

Last edited:
It only supports 10/100mb. Buy a switch.
Most printer's Ethernet ports, at least for home printers, only have 100 Mbps Ethernet ports no need to connect them to a gig switch port on a switch.
4. Assign it a LAN ip in the same range as the rest of your network.
Some routers being repurposed as switches may require that you assign it an IP and gateway using its firmware. Other may allow you to assign it an IP using the networks router. Either way works but if you assign the IP on the device being repurposed it may only sporadically show up in a listing of attached clients.

Also if you want and the router's antennas are removable you can do that to save space.

Followed eibgrad's map, it's running off a repeater and connects 2 printers with static IPs.

Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!