What's new

On the ability of powerline adapters to "adapt" to line noise fluctuations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guest24561

New Around Here
I've had the TRENDnet TPL-420E2K AV2 1200 for 5 months now, and while it does adapt to line noise changes and at the same time maintains most of its throughput like Tim Higgins' review suggested, the PLC signal can momentarily cut off entirely and randomly (I think this is caused by my noisy 5 bulb LED lighting fixture sharing the same circuit in that room). Switching out those LED bulbs would be costly for me, considering how expensive good quality LED bulbs are, and rewiring to another circuit is also going to be costly. I'm unable to move the adapter in that particular use case without running a large length of unsightly patch cable to the baseboard. I have the same adapter in my garage, plugged into an outlet just inches away from my breaker panel and it performs flawlessly.

My question is, is it worth experimenting with something like the TP-LINK TL-PA8010 AV2 1200 adapter (a kit can be had for $50 dollars refurbished/like new on Amazon) to see if it's more stable? I know they both have the same QCA chipsets, but the firmware might be tuned a little bit differently which could make in my use case. Craig's review of that product mentioned that it does not react to line noise changes, but rather the absence of line noise. I would rather take a throughput hit, than suffer from random momentary disconnects which last 2-3 minutes.

Any suggestions? Is it better to try to experiment instead with Broadcom-based AV2 1200 adapters instead?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Try both, particularly the Broadcom, since the algorithms are likely different.
There are also flat CAT5 cables that are easier to hide or even tucked under a baseboard if you have wall-to-wall carpeting.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!