What's new

One Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

utamav

Regular Contributor
I live in an apartment that has 2 wall sockets in the living room and one in the bedroom. All of the sockets feed into the closet. Closet is also where the source for my internet is located. My ISP provides me with 2 IPs. I have 2 routers (RT-AC68U and N12). I want to merge my 2 routers into one network without going over the internet.

Current setup:
N12 <---> ISP Source <---> RT-AC68U

Future setup:
ISP Source(closet) <---> N12 (closet) <---> RT-AC68U (connected to the DMZ port; living room)

The goal is to allow devices connected to either of the 2 routers to be able to communicate with each other. The reason I choose RT-AC68U to be connected over DMZ to N12 is because RT-AC68U will be running:
1. OpenVPN
2. DDNS
3. Port forwarding to my PS4 (connected to the RT-AC68U)

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to achieve my goal with the above setup? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Why are you using two routers?

I want to connect most of my devices via cable. My PS4/TV/External Drives are hooked on to the RT-AC68U which sits in the living room. Plus placing the more powerful router in the living room gives me a good coverage around the house. The other router that is connected in the closet will have it's WiFi turned off. The other advantage of this setup is that I can keep my ugly looking modem in the closet.

You can't put both routers in the same local network unless you provide a local connection between them.

I'm confused. Why are you using the second router? You are not getting any more bandwidth by using it.

I want to keep as many of my devices connected via LAN cable as possible.

I have one wall port in my bedroom that connects N12 and a VoIP phone.
One of the ports in my living room connects N12 and my computer.
The other port in my living room connects my RT-AC68U and my modem.
RT-AC68U is the main router (OpenVPN, NAS, WiFi devices) but it is connected to the modem that gives it a separate public IP.
N12 connects to another port on the modem and gets a different public IP.

So currently my network is separated, I want to merge these 2 networks with only 1 router connected to the modem.

Sorry, I'm confused. I need a better diagram, showing rooms, routers , modem and connection. I still don't understand why you are using two IPs

Are you getting static IP addresses from the ISP ?
Perhaps a dual WAN port router at the head end connected to both ports from the modem ?

A wiring diagram showing all connections now and what you think you want for future would be useful.
And, more importantly, what you are trying to accomplish by merging the two.

Attached are the diagrams. Hope this helps.

So the current setup is:
N12 <---> ISP Source <---> RT-AC68U

And I would like to have (shown in diagram):
ISP Source(closet) <---> N12 (closet) <---> RT-AC68U (connected to the DMZ port; living room)

The goal is to allow devices connected to either of the 2 routers to be able to communicate with each other.

Attachments

• FutureNetwork.jpg
    FutureNetwork.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 544
  • CurrentNetwork.jpg
    CurrentNetwork.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 319
Thanks for the diagram.

Why are you using two IP addresses? Why can't you just connect everything to one router?

I want to connect as many devices via cable as possible but I would like to keep the RT-AC68U in the living room to allow good WiFi coverage around the apartment. Each of the wall sockets only allow 1 connection. Can you suggest how I can connect all the devices to just one router?

Ah. Now I understand. Just convert the RT-AC68U to an Access point. That will put it on the same network and let you also use its LAN ports as a switch. I think it has a built-in AP feature.

Ah. Now I understand. Just convert the RT-AC68U to an Access point. That will put it on the same network and let you also use its LAN ports as a switch. I think it has a built-in AP feature.
Won't the connection be better via cable?

You will still connect the two routers with a cable. But by making the RT-AC68U an AP, you're putting all devices on one network.

I read somewhere that in AP mode, OpenVPN can't be used on RT-AC68U.
None of its routing features can be used. If you want the AC68U to run OpenVPN, then it has to connect to your modem.

I have no way for you to do what you want to do.

Going through my stuff, I found a D-Link DAP 1522 AP. Can I convert it into a switch a use it connect the 2 routers and effectively be able to access both the networks?