What's new

OpenSpeedTest as an Addon

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have also utilized a pendrive, and I believe that the speed difference between a pendrive and SSD will not significantly affect OpenSpeedTest. However, the CPU and RAM have a significant impact on performance. Once the 30Mb static file is read and stored in memory, they will be served from there.

Thanks, I was just about to opkg and copy/paste etc.
Instead, I will await your fine addon.
Amtm is spoiling some of us old hackers ;-)

Are these results over WiFi or ethernet?
This is my older iPad over WiFi, the newer model is much slower for reasons:
2023-05-27 20.57.51.png

@OpenSpeedTest - any thoughts on having something like curl start the speedtest, returning the information?
Maybe something like curl -o stresults 192.168.1.xxx:3000/runcurl
The output could be parsed for the speeds and other info.

My thoughts are that someone has a PC on their internal network running OpenSpeedTest, the router using the curl command, could test internal LAN bandwidth.
This could be added to @Jack Yaz spdMerlin script as an option. That way, one could periodically run both a WAN and a LAN speedtest.

@JGrana
In the near future, there will be a CLI Client available, allowing you to run a speed test without using a web browser.
Now the entire speed test process will be executed on the client side within the browser.

The primary function of the server is to provide a static file containing random data for the download test & discard any data received from the client during the upload test.

@JGrana
In the near future, there will be a CLI Client available, allowing you to run a speed test without using a web browser.
Now the entire speed test process will be executed on the client side within the browser.

The primary function of the server is to provide a static file containing random data for the download test & discard any data received from the client during the upload test.
Perfect, that should work!

@thelonelycoder , sounds like the addon will have a version 0.2 ;-)

Thanks

Hey, I love this thing and I just installed it on my GT-AX11000 following the guide here since I was not able to find it on amtm or the addons thread.

One question, if I'm using my PC wired with the 2.5Gb port, why I'm not going past the 1Gb speeds? Windows reports the connection as 2.5Gb, same as the router status, is this a limitation of the router running this directly on it? I don't have any other way of testing this as other ports and Wi-Fi devices are limited to 1Gb or less.
1707270802758.png

Hey, I love this thing and I just installed it on my GT-AX11000 following the guide here since I was not able to find it on amtm or the addons thread.

One question, if I'm using my PC wired with the 2.5Gb port, why I'm not going past the 1Gb speeds? Windows reports the connection as 2.5Gb, same as the router status, is this a limitation of the router running this directly on it? I don't have any other way of testing this as other ports and Wi-Fi devices are limited to 1Gb or less.
View attachment 56261
What does htop show while you are running a speedtest?

View attachment 56261

sounds like a limitation of the software. My recommendation is trying tool such as iperf to test if the results are the same, then it could be a limitation of the ethernet connections.

View attachment 56261
One other question, do you have an attached SSD, thumbdrive, or something else?

One other question, do you have an attached SSD, thumbdrive, or something else?
I do have a permanent 3.0 thumbdrive connected with entware and diversion installed, as well as 1 TB external laptop HDD, but were not doing anything, and based on what I saw, only one of the cores jumped to 100% when running the test, while the others remained below 5%.

I will try iperf next week when I have more free time.

I do have a permanent 3.0 thumbdrive connected with entware and diversion installed, as well as 1 TB external laptop HDD, but were not doing anything, and based on what I saw, only one of the cores jumped to 100% when running the test, while the others remained below 5%.

I will try iperf next week when I have more free time.
It could be openspeedtest is single threaded but it’s odd you saw that with a wired test. Maybe @OpenSpeedTest can comment further

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!