What's new

OpenSpeedTest as an Addon

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been using OpenSpeedTest for a while now. It's an excellent application. The tests perform better with a router or device with good processing power. It's necessary to have a good network cable, Cat6. Currently, I use SpeedTracker to generate a report, as complaints about bandwidth consumption follow criteria based on monthly averages. The link to SpeedTracker is: https://github.com/henrywhitaker3/Speedtest-Tracker
I tried it with a cat5e cable, which was fine as well. Like @rgnldo says it does depend on cpu as well. On our routers with QoS enabled, you are only going to see what the CPU will allow.

I tried it with a cat5e cable, which was fine as well. Like @rgnldo says it does depend on cpu as well. On our routers with QoS enabled, you are only going to see what the CPU will allow.
It works with Cat5e, but with a good shielded Cat6 cable, we'll get better results. Other factors that interfere or help include: a good NVME SSD, a WiFi 6 2x2 card, and a good CPU.

I made a tweak to my post here. It seems updating nginx will overwrite your default index.html. I've chmod index.html to remove write access and hopefully that should help.

It won't. See similar issue here.

Ugh… I guess a better approach is to just have a backup of index.html and maybe script restoring it after an entware update.

I finally got around to getting a 2.5G USB adapter for my Mac Mini to test OpenSpeedTest running on my AX-86U via 2.5G. After initially getting disappointing results, I followed @ColinTaylor suggestion in this post to resolve the kernel errors I was seeing:

kernel: ERR: rdpa_cpu_tx_port_enet_lan#213: rdpa_cpu_tx_port_enet_lan failed

Upon applying his fix, I am now seeing peaks above 2GB on read but on write they are a lot slower. I thought it might be my Samsung fit drive, so I temporarily move openspeedtest to the /tmp dir. This didn't seem to make much a difference. Also to note that the CPUs are quite loaded on the download and less so on upload. Here are some screen shots to share:

1. Representative download and upload. Increasing ?S=30 didn't make a huge difference. Neither did increasing or decreasing the worker loads.
1711240062226.png

2. Htop while running download and upload speedtest, respectively from Samsung Fit drive
1711240479141.png

1711240775363.png

@vlord Make sure you have installed the driver for the chipset on your Mac. When testing a 1Gbps USB Ethernet adapter that uses a Realtek chipset, I found that without drivers I got around 800 Mbps. After installing the driver, I achieved the full 1Gbps speed. You may also want to enable jumbo frames on your Mac for further optimization.

Use Chrome, Chromium or Safari

@vlord Make sure you have installed the driver for the chipset on your Mac. When testing a 1Gbps USB Ethernet adapter that uses a Realtek chipset, I found that without drivers I got around 800 Mbps. After installing the driver, I achieved the full 1Gbps speed. You may also want to enable jumbo frames on your Mac for further optimization.

It's definitely not the Mac Nic driver. This is Lan to Wan from my Mac mini:

1711657967692.png

Also, I did try to disable rx-checksumming which is what helped with the dl speeds going above 1.2Gbit but I get an error doing so:

Code:
admin@RT-AX86U-AP2:/tmp/home/root# ethtool -K br0 rx off
Cannot change rx-checksumming

Also, I did try to disable rx-checksumming which is what helped with the dl speeds going above 1.2Gbit but I get an error doing so:

Code:
admin@RT-AX86U-AP2:/tmp/home/root# ethtool -K br0 rx off
Cannot change rx-checksumming
That's because it's already fixed off.
Code:
# ethtool -k br0 | grep rx-checksumming
rx-checksumming: off [fixed]

One thing I'm a little curious about. When opkg installs nginx, it adds an S script but it doesn't follow the normal pattern of these scripts. It doesn't call rc.func, for example, and doesn't have "empty" pre and post commands and args. The cases it handles are start|stop|restart|reload|reopen|test instead of start|stop|restart|reconfigure|check|kill.

So, for example, if you call rc.unslung check you get a usage error instead of "alive".

One thing I'm a little curious about. When opkg installs nginx, it adds an S script but it doesn't follow the normal pattern of these scripts. It doesn't call rc.func, for example, and doesn't have "empty" pre and post commands and args. The cases it handles are start|stop|restart|reload|reopen|test instead of start|stop|restart|reconfigure|check|kill.

So, for example, if you call rc.unslung check you get a usage error instead of "alive".
The same is true for many other packages. I don't know whether there's any requirement for a package to follow the scripting format you describe, I doubt it. I'd always assumed it's just a template that's provided as a convenience rather than a mandatory standard.

I think you are right, but it is odd that opkg would install an S* script that doesn't conform to the template. So if you run rc.unslung test all the other scripts will trigger usage errors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!