What's new

OpenVPN AES-256-CBC vs PPTP vs Proxy (No Encryption)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nathan111

Occasional Visitor
hi guys
I'm using an openvpn client setup on a router at home and things are working fine, but occasionally I notice lag or performance drops and I have been reading about PPTP VPN which are fast but less secure.

Is this really going to make much a difference? I have really no sensitive usage that requires encryption, and am happy even with no encryption as long as performance is good. What options do I have for such tunnels? I have an ASUS router with merlin custom firmware.

then use socks5 proxy if you can - main disadvantage is that you can't set it network wise like openvpn but configure it in each application like web browsers, torrents clients or kodi mediaplayer

then use socks5 proxy if you can - main disadvantage is that you can't set it network wise like openvpn but configure it in each application like web browsers, torrents clients or kodi mediaplayer
i dont want to use socks5. can someone here help me?

If you don't care about security at all you can use pptp vpn.
In Asus ruters pptp can be configured without encryption, with 40bit key or with 128bit key.
Just remember that pptp is considered unsafe at any encryption level and you also risk an intrusion in your lan.