What's new

OpenVPN and SSH Tunnels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chichow

Regular Contributor
Apparently countries such as Iran and China are using deep packet inspection to block openvpn

https://forums.openvpn.net/topic11790.html

==

Is there a way to configure the router to encapsulate the openvpn server running on port 1194 UDP service in a SSH tunnel 22 TCP?

Apparently countries such as Iran and China are using deep packet inspection to block openvpn

https://forums.openvpn.net/topic11790.html

==

Is there a way to configure the router to encapsulate the openvpn server running on port 1194 UDP service in a SSH tunnel 22 TCP?

I don't know if this helps, but my DD-WRT / OpenVPN configuration uses port 443 TCP. The changes to the 'typical' configuration are minimal. My web site has a three part article on setting up OpenVPN for DD-WRT and illustrates using port 443 TCP and making sure the connection is encapsulated in the tunnel. It's said (by others who I researched while writing the articles) that OpenVPN on port 443 TCP looks like normal HTTPS when set up in this way. Since a port is only a port, there's no reason why port 22 TCP couldn't work --- try it and see.

Last edited:
VPN provider AirVPN has a setup for openvpn through SSH and SSL tunnels.

This is the script used to make the SSH connection to AirVPN and to start a local daemon to receive the openvpn connection.

#!/bin/bash
# --------------------------------------------------------
# Air VPN | https://airvpn.org | Monday 13th of October 2014 04:02:55 AM
# SSH Client Configuration, Linux/OSX
# AirVPN_SG-Antares_SSH-80
# --------------------------------------------------------

chmod 600 sshtunnel.key
while :
do
echo ""; echo "AirVPN SSH Tunnel"
ssh -i sshtunnel.key -L 1412:127.0.0.1:2018 sshtunnel@VPNIPAddress -p 80 -N -T -v
read -t 5 -p "Retry? (or wait 5 sec for Y)" yn
if [[ $yn == "n" || $yn == "N" ]]; then break; fi
done

The openvpn config main points for how it connects are:

remote 127.0.0.1 1412
route VPNIPAddress 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

so that it first connects to the daemon the script created, but then tunnels through it to the VPN server

maybe this will help you.

Thank you for the responses. In my case, I was trying to use my Asus as a openvpn server sitting outside of China. Not as a openvpn client to a commercial VPN provider.

Regardless this is great information and something I might need to know if I want to set up a SSH tunnel first.

I am using 2 open vpn server on my asus rt-n66 device and one is setup as tcp 443 port, working perfectly well because i don't have any other web server on this port...