What's new

openvpn and strange happenings...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boomhauer

New Around Here
i'll be the first to admit i get completely lost in all this networking but as much as i have tried i cant figure this one out and hoping maybe some of you can help. to start i am running the latest merlin on rt-ac88u. i have ip vanish running on the desktop thru their app. i have gotten openvpn server on the router up and running and can connect to it and the net with client 1 (desktop) and client 2 (mobile) on a different network (it's cellular).here is where it starts to go sideways i think. the mobile has the virtual ip of 10.0.0.3, the server says it's real ip is 172.158.xxx.xx and the mobile says it's real ip now (on cellular thru server) is what my wired ip really is when not masked on the home network, 76.177.xx.xxx. even as lost as i am i dont think that is anywhere near correct and that is not the only weird thing going on. can anyone maybe explain to me or help me get all this sorted out?

That sounds normal. Presumably you have changed the router VPN subnet address from the default of 10.8.0.0 to 10.0.0.0 which is why your mobile is getting 10.0.0.3.

That sounds normal. Presumably you have changed the router VPN subnet address from the default of 10.8.0.0 to 10.0.0.0 which is why your mobile is getting 10.0.0.3.

i'm talking about the fact that my mobile's ip address has somehow picked up my home networks ip address. not while it is on wifi which would be reasonable but while it is on my completely different cellular network and when it is connected to the server as a client.

Sorry, I don't follow what you're saying.

What is the IP address and subnet mask of your home LAN?
What is the IP address and subnet mask specified for the VPN server?
What VPN interface type are you using, TUN or TAP?

Sorry, I don't follow what you're saying.

What is the IP address and subnet mask of your home LAN?
What is the IP address and subnet mask specified for the VPN server?
What VPN interface type are you using, TUN or TAP?

192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
TUN

My mobile when on my cellular network is 172.58..xxx.xx
my home networks public ip is 76.177.xx.xxx and this is what my mobile picks up as it's ip when i connect it as a client(on it;s cellular network) to the server. it gets the right virtual of 10.0.0.3. what i dont understand is that since before anything else connects, the ipvanish app on the pc connects making my home network ip (on the pc at least) invisible. needless to say the cellular is on it's own network then. how does the cellular go from it's network's ip to that of the now invisible ip of the home network when i connect it to the server as a client?

I don't understand where the 10.0.0.3 address comes from as that is not what your VPN server is configured for.

I also don't understand the relevance of the ipvanish app or the PC as they don't appear to have anything to do with your mobile client or the VPN server. :confused:

my home networks public ip is 76.177.xx.xxx and this is what my mobile picks up as it's ip

I believe you are confused by public IP and local IP inside your network.

Your phone has a public IP 172.58.xxx.xxx when connected to the cellular network (network provider's IP range) and access to Internet through 172.58.xxx.xxx; local IP 192.168.xxx.xxx when connected to your network (your DHCP server settings) and access to Internet through IP 76.177.xxx.xxx (your router's public IP); still the same public IP of 172.58.xxx.xxx + assigned IP 10.8.xxx.xxx when connected to your VPN server (your VPN server settings) with access to Internet through IP 76.177.xxx.xxx (your router's public IP). VPN app on your computer changes your public IP 76.177.xxx.xxx to whatever the VPN server has as a public IP, but your computer still has internal IP 192.168.xxx.xxx and should be able to access your local devices.

I also don't see where IP 10.0.0.3 comes from. :confused:

the mobile has the virtual ip of 10.0.0.3, the server says it's real ip is 172.158.xxx.xx and the mobile says it's real ip now (on cellular thru server) is what my wired ip really is when not masked on the home network, 76.177.xx.xxx.

This is exactly how it should be.

- phone's IP on the cellular network is still the same 172.158.xxx.xx, it connects to the cellular network
- VPN server assigned IP must be 10.8.xxx.xxx, if you provided correct VPN settings information above
- phone gets access to Internet through the tunnel with IP 76.177.xxx.xxx, assigned to your router by your ISP

Nothing wrong here, except this 10.0.0.3 IP. Typo, probably? 10.8.0.3?

I don't understand where the 10.0.0.3 address comes from as that is not what your VPN server is configured for.

I also don't understand the relevance of the ipvanish app or the PC as they don't appear to have anything to do with your mobile client or the VPN server. :confused:

my mistake for the typo 10.8.0.3

the only relevance they have is that the app was on prior to anything else and it being on the pc that hosts client number one is it. but i did not want to omit something that may have had anything to do with this

It is really difficult to understand what (if anything) you are asking. But from what you've said everything is working as expected.

EDIT: I see that you have now deleted the post I was responding to.

Last edited: