What's new

OpenVPN cannot access LAN / DNS not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks and apologies, I must have missed it and I acknowledge I should have managed it better. This thread seems the most appropriate though - I hope it's ok if I continue here in an effort to keep it to one thread.

I have the same settings as above too.

The VPN's subnet needs to be different from the LAN's (and any other VPNs). TUN is a routed connection between different subnets. If they both have the same IP address range no routing would take place. If you want both ends to be part of the same subnet then you'd have to use a TAP (Ethernet bridge) connection.

If you change the router's VPN server configuration you need export it to the client again.

Thanks.. So basically I will need to get TAP working, which strangely, works fine on the phone (using the paid OpenVPN client) but not on the KUbuntu or Windows 10 laptop. But I understand then that TAP is the only way to get full LAN access.

The reason I suggested the official client was to get another data point. If it works with that client then that would suggest it's a client configuration issue rather than a server issue.

No don't enable DNS Filter at this stage (or any other non-standard features) it will just add uncertainty to the troubleshooting process. Just get the basic VPN working with the router's DNS first.

It's working fine on the phone, but not the laptop. Is this because Linux and Windows insist on their own DNS regardless of the VPN settings. Which is dangerous too because it causes DNS leakage and insecurity when using public hotspots.

I can access the router interface fine, and even RDP in to my home PC ok, but for whatever reason, just not the modem interface @ 192.168.2.x (same subnet as router). But I can RDP over to it from my home PC.

Either way it seems I just need to work on getting TAP working to really embed a remote device in to the local LAN.

This would explain why the Asus app doesn't work remotely too.