What's new

OpenVPN Client cannot connect to internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blade117runner

New Around Here
Just got myself a RT-AX88U and installed firmware 384.19. Set up DDNS and enabled OpenVPN server. Set "Client will use VPN to access" to Both. Exported config file and imported to Android. My phone is able to connect to the OpenVPN server and accessed internal resources. Using my phone's browser, I am not able to connect to any internet sites, getting the error message " <site>'s DNS address could not be found". Any ideas?

After flashing the RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults?

You must. Many changes going from stock to RMerlin firmware (and vice versa).

Just restored to factory defaults, redid my settings, re-exported and re-imported config. Same issue. Not sure if it is relevant but when I enabled up the OpenVPN server, it was stuck spinning for "Export OpenVPN configuration file". I rebooted the server and the vpn server was then up running.

If you re-imported an old backup config file, you effectively undid the full reset. :(

Try again.

See the link in my signature below for the M&M Config for further suggestions on getting the router to a good/known state.

Sorry I meant I re-exported the OpenVPN config and re-imported back to my phone. The config on the router was all redone manually.

Did you set 'Advertise DNS to clients' to 'Yes', in the Advanced Settings?

You're welcome. I'm sorry I didn't think of that option to check sooner!

But, you won't regret doing the full reset in the long term. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!