What's new

Openvpn client gives up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nmos

New Around Here
I'm running an openvpn client on Merlin and I've noticed that if the server end goes away for a while, perhaps due to an internet outage, the client will eventually give up connecting and turn off. I'm running Merlin 386.7. Is there any way to tell it to just keep trying indefinitely?

I'm running an openvpn client on Merlin and I've noticed that if the server end goes away for a while, perhaps due to an internet outage, the client will eventually give up connecting and turn off. I'm running Merlin 386.7. Is there any way to tell it to just keep trying indefinitely?
I used to have that problem too... which is why I wrote VPNMON-R2... Give that a shot - it will solve this issue. ;)

I used to have that problem too... which is why I wrote VPNMON-R2... Give that a shot - it will solve this issue. ;)

Thanks! That looks really useful. Is there any way to make it run automatically at boot?

Thanks! That looks really useful. Is there any way to make it run automatically at boot?
Yep... I've got some guidance on how to implement that in this post here:

Have you tried setting "Connection Retry attempts" to "0 for infinite"?
That works for a temporary outage... but back in the heyday, I've had my vpn connection down for days until I realized that it wasn't even connected, and retrying constantly... which is why I needed something to automatically figure out how to connect to some other slot.

Last edited:
That works for some temporary outage... but back in the heyday, I've had my vpn connection down for days until I realized that it wasn't even connected, and retrying constantly... which is why I needed something to automatically figure out how to connect to some other slot.
In my case this is a site to site link so if the server end goes down then I just want to be able to fix that and trust that the remote sites will reconnect without me having to intervene.

BTW, do the openvpn client settings in the UI override the settings in the .ovpn file?

BTW, do the openvpn client settings in the UI override the settings in the .ovpn file?
Yes, whatever you add after you've imported the .ovpn file gets overridden.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!