What's new

OpenVPN Client Torguard Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ipleak.net gives me a Torguard 209.xxx.xxx.xx. addres, my Isp is 68.XXX.XXX.XXX

you just said policy rules strict... do you mean DNS . or where is policy rules strict?

ipleak.net gives me a Torguard 209.xxx.xxx.xx. addres, my Isp is 68.XXX.XXX.XXX
Good that is how it should be. Now your DNS will be one of two sorts. Either it will show your defined DNS in WAN settings which you said you use Stubby and Cloudflare or it will show Torguard addresses if set to strict. Now depending on where you are in the worlld depends on what Cloudflare servers get used. I used Stubby and used Cloudflare and because I live in Canada I see IP addresses from the province of BC, here in Canada. This is what you would see if you were me with the client set to disabled. I use DNSFilter to direct the device through 1.1.1.1 that if it was in Canada would show a Candian DNS address. As I said before I have a USA address so Cloudflare uses the default servers for the USA. The image shown shows Policy Rules, and two examples of how to route individual devices through the Client.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   OpenVPN Client Settings.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U OpenVPN Client Settings.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 426
when I do dnsleak test it shows cloudflare servers .

I tried this earlier today .. and just put in my firestick pointing to the wan interface is that correct or do I have to add all my devices except the firestick?

when I do dnsleak test it shows cloudflare servers .
Ok the unfortunate part is the DNS we want to use is Cloudflare so to test you need to know where the DNS is from. Is it your local countries Cloudflare DNS or is it a USA DNS address?

It’s in the USA and I am also in the USA, that is why I want to bypass the vpn

It’s in the USA and I am also in the USA, that is why I want to bypass the vpn
Ok let's catch up now. You have a USA Torguard IP is this correct? You have USA DNS because you live in the USA. What DNS do you wish to have? What country Netflix are you trying to circumvent?

Yes,USA torguard is addy
Yes USA cloudflare dns
I prefer to stay with cloudflare
I’m not trying to circumvent any country on Netflix or amazon , I just want to route the access out of the vpn on to my normal wan using cloudflare

Just so we are clear, 1.1.1.1 means different servers for different regions and countries. If you are in the USA and using a USA Torguard IP and you set 1.1.1.1 in the DNSFilter settings you will in fact stay stuck with USA Cloudflare.

I use Torguard as well, this config works beautifully for me

Attachments

• 2019_04_20_15_22_24_2019_04_20_15_21_37_Asus_VPN.pdf_Adobe_Acrobat_Pro_Paint.jpg
    2019_04_20_15_22_24_2019_04_20_15_21_37_Asus_VPN.pdf_Adobe_Acrobat_Pro_Paint.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 357
Yes,USA torguard is addy
Yes USA cloudflare dns
I prefer to stay with cloudflare
I’m not trying to circumvent any country on Netflix or amazon , I just want to route the access out of the vpn on to my normal wan using cloudflare
Then set the DNS in the client to disabled and use Stubby as the routers DNS then you will be using USA Cloudflare. If you are using sStubby then the WAN DNS of the router is the router's IP. If not that's your problem. Do not use connect to DNS automatically.

I have no problem using a USA cloudflare server

Thanks wizin for the screen shot. I don't see any real differences

skeal, Thanks for all the guidance. I am ready to pack it in for the night. family using the network.

But one last question.. under policy rules do you put the devices you want going thru the VPN or the ones you don't?

I wouldn't run my firestick through a VPN if I didn't have a need to. I'm just saying. A VPN usually isn't advised for streaming. I use my VPN for Geo-relocation and the router I have AX88U has plenty of horse power to give me 4k video through a VPN. That is astounding really.

Your WAN DNS settings should look similar to this.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   Internet Connection.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U Internet Connection.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 336

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!