What's new

Solved OpenVPN config file with custom server hostname?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hajo

New Around Here
Hey forum, my sincere apology if this is RTFM, I'm really struggling with this. Installed an Asus RT-AX86U with stock FW behind a cable modem in a DMZ, so the Asus has a private IP. My modem is reachable on a static public IP (and has a host name resolving to that public IP) hence the router is also reachable from world. I'm now trying to create an OpenVPN config file on the router to import into my phone. When importing, OpenVPN on the phone shows in the host name field the private IP of the router though and a "locked" in brackets, I can't change that to my public IP or resolvable host name. How can I change that manually - seems no option in the router FW...

Thx so much!

Open the .ovpn file you exported from the router in a text editor. Change the remote line so that it has your public IP address or DDNS name followed by the port. For example,

Code:
remote 12.34.56.78 22333

Import this file into your client.

That easy! I knew I'd be embarrassed by you, haha. Thx so much! It still fails for an entirely different reason though, I have to trace that tomorrow though. It works with my outgoing Netgear router and fails with the new Asus. Well, anyways, tomorrow. Thx a lot again, Sir!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!