What's new

OpenVPN connection status doesn't update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

case

New Around Here
I'm running Merlin 386.7_2 on an RT-AX3000, and I found a similar bug reported in the thread "Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 beta is now available":
Under VPN->VPN Server->Username and Password, the Connection Status always says "Disconnected", even when a client is connected and the VPN connection is working perfectly.

In that post, I was shocked to see the pic of the VPN Status tab, because for me, it's not displaying any information at all:
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.59.49 PM.png

This is what it looks like all the time, even when clients are connected.

Anything I can try at my end to resolve the issue? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @case.

386.4 firmware is not relevant when you're running 386.7_2. Unless you haven't performed a full reset for many firmware versions now.

Thanks for the welcome!

I figured it out, and it's trivial, but I want to put it out here because there's probably at least one other struggling soul with problems in the Merlin OpenVPN GUI. :) Ages ago on a different router, when I configured the OpenVPN server, I had moved and changed the name of the status log. But the web interface expects it to be named "status", without even a filename extension. Leaving it alone fixed both issues with the client Connection Status and VPN Status tab.

But before posting, I had skimmed through the rest of that beta thread, and the bug wasn't addressed (the user just reported it was still in the beta 2). Then, I looked through the changelog, and didn't see anything about about the OpenVPN GUI, so I thought there was a good chance it had stuck around until now...