1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OpenVPN DNS Selective Routing Questions

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by vwsplitty1980, Nov 13, 2015.

1. vwsplitty1980

vwsplitty1980 Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I have been running my n66 for a good couple of years now and love the merlin firmware. Now since i have updated to a new version (378.55 in my case) i thought i would have a go at using the selective routing with openvpn.

I have my openvpn cilent via AirVPN up and running and i have selected it to only route one of my devices via the VPN. It seems to be working but i have a couple of questions regarding DNS.

1. Can someone please tell me the difference in the vpn dns options of: Disabled,relaxed,strict,exclusive?

2. How can i get all my normal devices to use comodo dns as it does now and then my one vpn device to use the airvpn dns?

Attached Files:

2. Martineau

Martineau Part of the Furniture

I could be wrong, but these would be my answers:

A. 1
    Code:
    Disabled = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are ignored
    Relaxed = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used
    Strict = DNS servers sent by the VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order (existing DNS servers are only used if VPN-provided ones don't respond)
    Exclusive = only the VPN-provided DNS servers are used
    A. 2
    Code:
    http://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-21#post-216368

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    HowIFix and vwsplitty1980 like this.
  3. vwsplitty1980

Thank for the rest info will have s play around and let you know.

4. vwsplitty1980

Just to let you know that worked.

But today i had no internet connectivity, long story short i did not have the openvpn client running and for some reason all my clients decided to use the vpn dns even thoe via parental control i selected just the one device to use this.

i can not work out why this would happen?