What's new

OpenVPN DNS Selective Routing Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vwsplitty1980

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have been running my n66 for a good couple of years now and love the merlin firmware. Now since i have updated to a new version (378.55 in my case) i thought i would have a go at using the selective routing with openvpn.

I have my openvpn cilent via AirVPN up and running and i have selected it to only route one of my devices via the VPN. It seems to be working but i have a couple of questions regarding DNS.

1. Can someone please tell me the difference in the vpn dns options of: Disabled,relaxed,strict,exclusive?

2. How can i get all my normal devices to use comodo dns as it does now and then my one vpn device to use the airvpn dns?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 856
Hi,

I have been running my n66 for a good couple of years now and love the merlin firmware. Now since i have updated to a new version (378.55 in my case) i thought i would have a go at using the selective routing with openvpn.

I have my openvpn cilent via AirVPN up and running and i have selected it to only route one of my devices via the VPN. It seems to be working but i have a couple of questions regarding DNS.

1. Can someone please tell me the difference in the vpn dns options of: Disabled,relaxed,strict,exclusive?

2. How can i get all my normal devices to use comodo dns as it does now and then my one vpn device to use the airvpn dns?

I could be wrong, but these would be my answers:

A. 1
Code:
Disabled = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are ignored
Relaxed = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used
Strict = DNS servers sent by the VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order (existing DNS servers are only used if VPN-provided ones don't respond)
Exclusive = only the VPN-provided DNS servers are used

A. 2
Code:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-21#post-216368

Last edited:

A. 1
Code:
Relaxed = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used
Strict = DNS servers sent by the VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order (existing DNS servers are only used if VPN-provided ones don't respond)

A. 2
Code:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-21#post-216368

Thank for the rest info will have s play around and let you know.

A. 1
Code:

A. 2
Code:

Just to let you know that worked.

But today i had no internet connectivity, long story short i did not have the openvpn client running and for some reason all my clients decided to use the vpn dns even thoe via parental control i selected just the one device to use this.

i can not work out why this would happen?