What's new

Openvpn error: username undef

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fun4stuff

Regular Contributor
I’m trying to connect to my vpn server on my router. It won’t connect. Status is username undef. I’m trying to log on to vpn from my iOS phone, openvpn app. I’m entering username and password correctly.

Rt-ac86u. Merlin 384.14
I’ve rebooted the router and tried setting vpn settings to default and redoing them.

any idea what I’m doing wrong? Thanks.

Attachments

• B464DAE9-BD12-49CE-8EFA-4E946A8944B2.jpeg
    B464DAE9-BD12-49CE-8EFA-4E946A8944B2.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 250
I’m trying to connect to my vpn server on my router. It won’t connect. Status is username undef. I’m trying to log on to vpn from my iOS phone, openvpn app. I’m entering username and password correctly.

Rt-ac86u. Merlin 384.14
I’ve rebooted the router and tried setting vpn settings to default and redoing them.

any idea what I’m doing wrong? Thanks.
Did you export the config and import it to the phone? I'm not familiar with iOS but you need the exported cert to be able to connect.

If you import the OVPN you export from your router in the VPN server setup page you should not have a problem. Just be sure you have the DDNS working at the time you create the file.

Also when you test, if you are at home, turn the WiFi on the phone off and connect using cell data.

If you import the OVPN you export from your router in the VPN server setup page you should not have a problem. Just be sure you have the DDNS working at the time you create the file.

Also when you test, if you are at home, turn the WiFi on the phone off and connect using cell data.
It was because i was connected to my home’s WiFi. Is there anyway i could get it to work while on my home’s WiFi? I’d like to leave it always connected for simplicity.

It was because i was connected to my home’s WiFi. Is there anyway i could get it to work while on my home’s WiFi? I’d like to leave it always connected for simplicity.

No, your concept is wrong. The purpose of the VPN server is to provide you means to access your home network and to use your home internet connection when you are OUTSIDE your home network, i.e. when you are using cell network or public/office Wi-Fi.

When you are connected to your home Wi-Fi you are INSIDE your home network, so you don't need vpn.

Try this: in the custom config box, insert "local <your ddns>".
Then, in the exported ovpn file, makes sure the remote host is listed as your ddns.

I think it might connect then even if you are on your local network. I can, but I only do it for testing, because it seems sorta stupid for your phone to go in and out of the router a few times.

No, your concept is wrong. The purpose of the VPN server is to provide you means to access your home network and to use your home internet connection when you are OUTSIDE your home network, i.e. when you are using cell network or public/office Wi-Fi.

When you are connected to your home Wi-Fi you are INSIDE your home network, so you don't need vpn.

yeah i don’t need it when I’m at home.

I’m using it so i can be connected to pihole 24/7, including when i leave the house and go onto mobile LTE and when i get to work or friends house.

Currently i have pihole and openvpn running on a raspberry pi. I can connect to that openvpn and it stays connected as i described above (whether I’m home, mobile, or guest WiFi). It’s perfect.

I’m currently in process of moving everything from my raspberry pi’s onto my synology NASes.... and consolidate everything. So i recently installed pihole running in docker on my synology (and a vpn server). But was seeing if i could connect to merlin’s vpn.... and just have it auto connect when i leave the house (or have it stay connected 24/7) so i can connect to pihole on my phone wherever i am.

is there a better way to do this?

i could get it to work while on my home’s WiFi?

Running the VPN client on your phone really drains your phone's battery quickly. You need to turn the VPN off on your phone when it isn't necessary or plan on charging your phone every 4 - 6 hours based on my experience with my Iphone.

Running the VPN client on your phone really drains your phone's battery quickly. You need to turn the VPN off on your phone when it isn't necessary or plan on charging your phone every 4 - 6 hours based on my experience with my Iphone.

i have a 2.5 yr iPhone X which I’ve heavily used. I get at least 12hrs off it still until i have to charge it. Battery health is listed as 83%. Been running openvpn for the last 1.5 years and haven’t really noticed it. It’s way down the list of things using my battery.
upload_2019-12-30_16-16-44.png

I used my OVPN client for an hour while waiting in a doctor's office this morning , forgot to turn the VPN off on the way home and this app still accounted for 5% of my battery use so far today. Everyone's results may vary.

I used my OVPN client for an hour while waiting in a doctor's office this morning , forgot to turn the VPN off on the way home and this app still accounted for 5% of my battery use so far today. Everyone's results may vary.
Maybe diff depending if running lan only through it vs lan+internet?

Maybe diff depending if running lan only through it vs lan+internet?

Good point as I use my VPN client for a secure connection to the WWW when out and about connecting to guest/public WiFi hotspots.