What's new

OpenVPN IPV6 support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin,
since it's already 1 1/2 years ago: any updates? Because of many InternetProviders not offering any global accessible IPv4 Addresses anymore (they nat it to local addresses), it is becoming more important to access via IPv6.
Anything we could do to support you with this topic?
Regards
Stefan

since it's already 1 1/2 years ago: any updates?

No change, sorry.

Implementing IPv6 support is a lot of work since the whole webui need to be made IPv6-aware on the VPN pages, and testing it would be tricky for me as my ISP does not support IPv6 (and HE tunnel is problematic overall). It's simply not a priority, compared to other things I have to deal with.

At least as OpenVPN client the current version (384.8_2) works over IPv6 transport w/o issues. (I do not use IPv6 in the tunnel - so I don't know if that works.)

The only thing was, afair you can't put an IPv6 address into the server address field. Using a DNS hostname w/ an A and AAAA record results in using IPv6 by default and falling back to IPv4 if IPv6 is not available.

All other settings I use are pretty much standard.

At least as OpenVPN client the current version (384.8_2) works over IPv6 transport w/o issues. (I do not use IPv6 in the tunnel - so I don't know if that works.)

The only thing was, afair you can't put an IPv6 address into the server address field. Using a DNS hostname w/ an A and AAAA record results in using IPv6 by default and falling back to IPv4 if IPv6 is not available.

All other settings I use are pretty much standard.

The entire Policy Routing code would need to be reworked to handle IPv6 (both the webui and the script code).

@RMerlin ...

I apologise, but I would like to keep the cause of this issue alive. After such a long time, are changes perhaps planned in the foreseeable future?

:)

@RMerlin ...

I apologise, but I would like to keep the cause of this issue alive. After such a long time, are changes perhaps planned in the foreseeable future?

:)

Not anytime soon, no.

Do you know if the original asus firmware is working? Unfortunately, I cant try it

Their VPN is working, so I'm not sure what you are asking specifically. If you mean do they support IPv6, then no, they don't either.

Oh ok. Do you think that there is a way to help you with this?

Not at this time. This would be a major project of its own, and my ISP won't support IPv6 for years which would make it even harder to do.

Not at this time. This would be a major project of its own, and my ISP won't support IPv6 for years which would make it even harder to do.

But it would be fantastic and a real unique selling point. And what other firmware code in the router world would offer such a real highlight? Well, hope dies in the end, they say in this country occasionally. :):D