What's new

OpenVPN Selective Routing Tutorial

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moebis

Occasional Visitor
I've been playing with the new alpha builds of ASUSwrt. I setup an OpenVPN AS server on my digitalocean (Ubuntu 14.04) server. Downloaded the .ovpn and set it up on the router. Didn't work out of the box, I had to turn on Accept DNS Configuration "Strict". Even then it seems flaky, just decides not to respond sometimes. Those are separate issues I'm trying to figure out. But what I can't find, after much searching is a simple OpenVPN tutorial from start to finish. I have to believe there are a lot of DigitalOcean users out there, with ASUSwrt, that want to do selective routing. What I mean by this, is I just want certain devices, or certain sites to go over the VPN, everything else, normal traffic. So if I want to watch Netflix on the AppleTV it uses the VPN. I've found old scripts and some commands here and there, but something, somewhere along the way is broken, outdated, or doesn't work. There has to be a simple 15 minute setup for this somewhere. Any help please?

Reactions: scr
Is this not possible and I'm mistaken? I really thought someone else out there would have a similar setup, where they would want to only route certain traffic (either by client or service) over the VPN, and leave the rest alone.

ummm..the policy routing is built in to firmware 53 and is enhanced in the alpha you are testing.

in the openvpn client change redirect internet traffic setting to policy rules and go from there. keep in mind IP ranges need to be in CIDR format.

Hi I'm new to this VPN stuff and have recently setup a Netgear R7000 router flashed with Tomato, and OpenVPN. I've successfully flashed Advanced Tomato, Release date: 19.06.2015, and Version: 2.8-130. So far I've set up my router to selectively route based on IP using info provided here:

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202798226-Selective-rout...

However, it would appear that relatively recently this firmware is now capable of managing selective routing based on domain name by configuring the 'OpenVPN Client Configuration - Redirect Through VPN. See image in this link:

http://www.flashrouters.com/blog/2015/05/27/netgear-r7000-nghthawk-tomat...

What I'm not clear on is what other settings and scripts need to be in place for this to work and what changes I need to make from the IP based selective routing approach.

My intent is to only route certain domain name requests through the VPN server where the rest of my traffic to go via my normal ISP routing.

It would appear that you, moebis, are trying to accomplish similar or perhaps have made it work?

Any help or learnings to date are appreciated.

Hi I'm new to this VPN stuff and have recently setup a Netgear R7000 router flashed with Tomato, and OpenVPN. I've successfully flashed Advanced Tomato, Release date: 19.06.2015, and Version: 2.8-130. So far I've set up my router to selectively route based on IP using info provided here:

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202798226-Selective-rout...

However, it would appear that relatively recently this firmware is now capable of managing selective routing based on domain name by configuring the 'OpenVPN Client Configuration - Redirect Through VPN. See image in this link:

http://www.flashrouters.com/blog/2015/05/27/netgear-r7000-nghthawk-tomat...

What I'm not clear on is what other settings and scripts need to be in place for this to work and what changes I need to make from the IP based selective routing approach.

My intent is to only route certain domain name requests through the VPN server where the rest of my traffic to go via my normal ISP routing.

It would appear that you, moebis, are trying to accomplish similar or perhaps have made it work?

Any help or learnings to date are appreciated.

this forum is for Asus routers with merlin firmware. I don't think you'll be able to get help for your question here.