What's new

OPENVPN server encription question- when IP does not change.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 27741

I have been connecting to my n66u via the openvpn server. I have a question about internet traffic.

When internet traffic is NOT set to redirect (when connected it shows the local external ip) is internet traffic NOT encrypted?

Reason I ask, is I plan on using the VPN to make browsing on unencrypted networks safer, do I need to redirect internet traffic for this?

Yes. When you aren't redirecting Internet traffic, then it will go straight out of whichever ISP where your client is located - only LAN requests will go through the tunnel.

I humbly vote that the default setting for redirecting internet traffic be yes on the openvpn servers. Maybe it is already and I just borked it. Not sure that can be changed, however.

I find it interesting that while on the LAN I can connect to the openvpn server when internet traffic is not redirected. When I turn on the internet traffic redirect, LAN clients can no longer connect to the openvpn server.

Now, I realize it is usually useless to connect to the openvpn server locally, but still wonder why it won't connect when internet traffic is redirected.

*** EDIT: dumb attack, it connects and works fine, just requires run as admin ***

Last edited by a moderator:
I humbly vote that the default setting for redirecting internet traffic be yes on the openvpn servers. Maybe it is already and I just borked it. Not sure that can be changed, however.

Bad idea. The main use for a VPN server is so you can connect back home to access your LAN. In addition to the potential issues caused by people unaware of this setting being enabled, causing them to slow down their home network, and also potentially leading to overcharges if they have a limited monthly quota at home.

It's always best to keep a minimum of options enabled as default settings, so the people who know they need it will enable it. It's good security practice for starter.

Fair enough. Although I do use it for LAN access, I mostly use the vpn for users to connect to the router for encryption while on the road using unsecured networks. So it is direct clients to redirect internet traffic = yes for me!

Attachments

• internet traffic.JPG
    internet traffic.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 523
Last edited by a moderator: