What's new

Opera Mini and SmallNetBuilders RSS feed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr Strangelove

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I use Opera Mini browser to read all my RSS news feeds as it has an RSS reader and it's a browser.. best of both worlds.

Been doing this since the days of the feature phones and now on Android phones.

I note that with the SmallNetBuilder RSS feed, one can not view the document content in Opera Mini. You can view the summary, but not the complete document.

One of over tens feeds I subscribe to, SmallNetBuilder is the only one that doesn't allow viewing of the complete article.

It's almost as if www.smallnetbuilder.com doesn't support Opera Mini.

Our RSS feeds do not contain full article content. We have no plans to change this.

That's cool, I don't have a problem with that.
My problem is that I can't even get to the web site using Opera Mini.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ just returns a blank page or an error.
Opera Mobile works OK... but that doesn't have an RSS reader.
So if an article looks interesting I have to paste the url into another browser to read it.

It's not the end of the world, just a pain flipping between borrowers.

Sorry, I misunderstood.
That doesn't sound like an RSS error. What error do you see and what device is this on?

Just tried Opera Mini on a Nexus 7 and saw the blank page. Opera Mini has no debug tools so this will take awhile to figure out.

If it helps, links to every article also get pushed to FB and Twitter, so you don't need RSS.

Thanks Tim,

You may now see the same error as me.

Remote server or file not found
You tried to access the address
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/
smallnetbuilder/
~3/60jdOQjznE0/32188-ubiquiti-
unifi-30-enterprise-wi-fi-platform-
reviewed , which is currently
unavailable. Please make sure that
the web address (URL) is correctly
spelled and punctuated, then try
reloading the page.

Rouge URL aside, even if I manually access the site I just get a blank page with no error.

As we know Opera Mini is a translate/optimised page from an Opera server, so Opera is not showing you the original error if one existed.

Opera Mini can't do call and return JavaScript in one pass (aka AJAX), but it can still parse JavaScript and return output though.

Not being able to access the web site has been happening for many months.
Sorry I can't remember when this started.

However, I do believe it used to work... or I could just be confused.

Good luck on debug this. I've not looked for an Opera Mini debugger lately, but to my knowledge, none existed before.

Thank you for the FB/twitter advice, but after I root my phone FB and twitter are the first things I delete.... Old school systems programmer who has better uses for the recovered memory/CPU and can't learn new tricks. [*sigh*]

P.S. I probably have really old Opera Mini apk version stored and can install one, just in case it's an Android Opera Mini current version issue. I still have a few old feature phones running Opera Mini (J2ME) that I could try too.

However, unless it's a catch all error message, URL not found sounds a bit more server side than client UI error re: RSS.

I've also used the Opera Mini emulator in MS Windows (XP/7) in the past and seen a screen presented, but on a real phone it failed. The Opera Mini server/translator used by the Emulator may not be the same as the real world servers distributed around the world and in production. Emulator server/translator could just be a server in a development site and not updated to latest real world production servers/translators.
Strict XHTML doc type solved most problems for me in the past. Guess it's HTML5 these days.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!