What's new

Opinions asked, Asus RT-88u and RT-AX55 networking setup..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SandmanXX

Regular Contributor
I have purchased an Asus RT-ax88u and a AX55, arriving in a few days. My plan is similar to what I have set up already, basically refreshing old equipment. Exception- currently the 2 routers are wirelessly connected, where I plan on hard-wiring the 2 new routers together. My plan is, use the AX88 as the main router, central in the house, and I will be using the AX55 as a bridge. At least, I think it's a bridge.
Question is, optimum settings for each?
The computer will be wired to the 88, as well as a smart TV ,sec camera, NAS, smartthings hub, and the ax55. The 55 will have the main smart tv wired to it, as well as another camera, and other entertainment items, Roku, xbox, etc. (using a TP link network switch for the xbox and camera) The TVs use Hulu pretty often, so lots of bandwidth. Any suggested settings/recommendations, on setting each up to work with each other?
Thanks!

I have purchased an Asus RT-ax88u and a AX55, arriving in a few days. My plan is similar to what I have set up already, basically refreshing old equipment. Exception- currently the 2 routers are wirelessly connected, where I plan on hard-wiring the 2 new routers together. My plan is, use the AX88 as the main router, central in the house, and I will be using the AX55 as a bridge. At least, I think it's a bridge.
Question is, optimum settings for each?
The computer will be wired to the 88, as well as a smart TV ,sec camera, NAS, smartthings hub, and the ax55. The 55 will have the main smart tv wired to it, as well as another camera, and other entertainment items, Roku, xbox, etc. (using a TP link network switch for the xbox and camera) The TVs use Hulu pretty often, so lots of bandwidth. Any suggested settings/recommendations, on setting each up to work with each other?
Thanks!

Given the AX55 will be wired to the AX88, you will be using it as a wired AP (traditional); or as a wired AiMesh remote node (better?); or as a simple switch (not likely); but not as a wireless media bridge. A media bridge uses all of its WiFi for the wireless backhaul and only permits wired clients such as for streaming media.

I would add the AX55 as a wired AiMesh remote node, assuming you need it to be a WiFi access point. AiMesh 2.0 is in beta now and will likely be in your new network, so I would spin up on its progress.

My install notes offer basic configuration settings. You will need to discover any additional configuration details as these relate to AX WiFi and to managing your wired AiMesh 2.0 backhaul... I have not worked with either yet... still just dual-band AC and wireless here.

OE

Given the AX55 will be wired to the AX88, you will be using it as a wired AP (traditional); or as a wired AiMesh remote node (better?); or as a simple switch (not likely); but not as a wireless media bridge. A media bridge uses all of its WiFi for the wireless backhaul and only permits wired clients such as for streaming media.

I would add the AX55 as a wired AiMesh remote node, assuming you need it to be a WiFi access point. AiMesh 2.0 is in beta now and will likely be in your new network, so I would spin up on its progress.

My install notes offer basic configuration settings. You will need to discover any additional configuration details as these relate to AX WiFi and to managing your wired AiMesh 2.0 backhaul... I have not worked with either yet... still just dual-band AC and wireless here.

OE
Thanks for the input. My next question was going to be, as I've read a lot about this so far is.. using these 2 routers as above, wired aimesh node, does aimesh use the WiFi 6?
Many other places say aimesh doesn't work with wifi6 yet.
Thanks!

Thanks for the input. My next question was going to be, as I've read a lot about this so far is.. using these 2 routers as above, wired aimesh node, does aimesh use the WiFi 6?
Many other places say aimesh doesn't work with wifi6 yet.
Thanks!

I have not seen WiFi 6... waiting for WiFi 6e... but your new routers support AiMesh. AiMesh is relatively easy to establish... so give it a try and let us know what you think.

I believe my next WiFi 6e AiMesh will have a dedicated and fast wireless backhaul. This new Asus WiFi 6e router marketing quote suggests how this might work:

"A Wi-Fi network is only as good as its weakest signal, which is why we’ve given the ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 AiMesh support. Using AiMesh, you can connect other compatible ASUS routers to extend range and boost performance in the far-flung corners of houses or buildings. The GT-AXE11000 will automatically monitor the signal strength of the 5GHz and 6GHz bands and choose the one that’s best suited to use as a backhaul."

It also implies that AiMesh "works with" WiFi 6/6e.

OE

I have not seen WiFi 6... waiting for WiFi 6e... but your new routers support AiMesh. AiMesh is relatively easy to establish... so give it a try and let us know what you think.

I believe my next WiFi 6e AiMesh will have a dedicated and fast wireless backhaul. This new Asus WiFi 6e router marketing quote suggests how this might work:

"A Wi-Fi network is only as good as its weakest signal, which is why we’ve given the ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 AiMesh support. Using AiMesh, you can connect other compatible ASUS routers to extend range and boost performance in the far-flung corners of houses or buildings. The GT-AXE11000 will automatically monitor the signal strength of the 5GHz and 6GHz bands and choose the one that’s best suited to use as a backhaul."

It also implies that AiMesh "works with" WiFi 6/6e.

OE

Then it sounds like my best bet is to set up the ax88 as the main router, then set up the ax55 as an aimesh node/AP, where I need that one tv, entertainment, etc, basically the living room, and wire them together. I have a further line of questions, if you don't mind.
Expanding further....
I have a 3rd (!) router involved. and that router will go from a netgear N router (wired to main router currently-opposite direction of the ax88-ax55) to a gt-ac5300. This 3rd router is in the back main bedroom, and will be wired to a third tv, roku, and a couple other things, aiding in wifi signal to that third of the house.

So, would you recommend, after setting up the ax88u,(mid house) then the ax55, (east end) hooking up (wired) that gt5300 (west end) and using it as an aimesh node-AP for that as well? I need that third router in place, for the ports, and I'd rather have a router than a switch there, so I guess I should ask, the best integration for that third router: aimesh as well, or just regular ap?
I've starting reading on that possibility, and understand that it's wifi 5 only, and also think i understand that I could only use the 2nd 5ghz band as a client, as there's no third band dedicated for backhaul on the other 2 routers. Sound right so far, at least in assertions?

So far, plugged in the AX55 to the gt-ac5300 router, to get it flashed and up to date with firmware. Got that done, plugged into a LAN port on the 5300, going into the WAN port on the rx55. I named a couple of totally different names for the 2.4 and the 5g networks from the rx55, just trying to save some time and prepare for the AX88u coming. Both routers sitting next to each other, if I join the 5300 5g, I get 866 mbs, but if I join the rx55 5g network, I get 451mbs? Any ideas at this point for the slow speed?
Forgot to mention, RX55 set up as an AP, not aimesh as of yet, didn't know yet how difficult it would be to untangle that and restart aimesh on the new router.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201114-194642.png
    Screenshot_20201114-194642.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot_20201114-194803.png
    Screenshot_20201114-194803.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!